Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have what I believe is a 1st generation HP 6978 that I purchased in April 2019.   It suddenly started signaling a paper jam a few weeks back during the self-maintenance process... which I've not found a way to suspend. 

However, what is actually happening is not a paper jam, per se, it appears to be a partial feed of the paper during that self-check.   There is no physical 'jam' anywhere in the device and all manner of cleaning all of the rollers and making sure there isn't any debris caught in the gear-driven wheels has not resolved the issue.  Nor has using genuine HP paper or any other type of paper.

Given it is still running on the factory Firmware, I have attempted to update it using the newer Firmware releases published by HP; however, as it goes through the installation process I receive a "Not Applicable" message (or words to that effect).

I've completed a reset following guidance provided in the help community, e.g., power on, pull the plug, etc., to no avail as the printer invariably goes right into the self-maintenance check once it's powered back on.  

Very frustrating, to say the least...

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@tandemgeek Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that Partial Feed During Self-Maintenance Triggers "Paper Jam" / Can't Get Past This Error.

Please perform the hard reset and check.

Turn the printer on, if it is not already on. 

Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue. 

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer. 

Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. 

Wait at least 60 seconds. 

Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet. 

Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer. 

Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on. 

Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed 

Make sure the carriage can move freely

Make sure the carriage moves freely across the width of the printer.

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

2. Open the cartridge access door.

Opening the ink cartridge access door

3. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

4. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

5. Unplug the power cord from the power source or electrical outlet.

WARNING: 

You must unplug the power cord to move the carriage by hand and reset the paper feed mechanism without the risk of electrical shock.

6. Use a flashlight to check for any paper or objects that might be restricting the carriage, and then remove any paper or objects that you find.

CAUTION: 

If the paper tears when you remove it from the rollers, check the rollers and wheels for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the printer. If pieces of paper remain in the printer, more paper jams can occur.

Checking the rollers and wheels for pieces of paper

7. Reach inside the printer through the ink cartridge access door, and then manually move the carriage.

• If the carriage is stuck on the right side of the printer, move the carriage to the left side of the printer.

• If the carriage is stuck on the left side of the printer, move the carriage to the right side of the printer.

• If the carriage is stuck in the middle of the printer, move the carriage to the right side of the printer.

8. Remove any loose paper or obstructions found.

9. Make sure the carriage can move freely across the width of the printer. Firmly push the carriage to the left side of the printer, and then push it to the right side.

10. Close the ink cartridge access door.

11. Reconnect the power cord and any other cables to the rear of the printer, and then turn on the printer.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.