Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C6280
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have two HP Photosmart printers that I have been very happy with. Now they have both failed within a week of each other.

When I recently plugged in my Photosmart C6280, a white grid, or horizontal and vertical criss-cross pattern appeared on the touchscreen display, with the moving colour bar along the bottom. The grid pattern remains on the display, and there is no mechanical activity nor any sound coming from the printer. The printer does not respond to any button pushes.  I have tried unplugging and replugging a few times (unplug both ends of adapter and wait 60 seconds) with the same result. The white grid pattern appears every time, and remains until the printer is unplugged.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I did notice that most of the time after plugging in the printer, the LED light on the network connector flashes for a short time, followed by the light on the memory card reader. The network cable is not plugged in and there are no cards in the memory card reader.

I would like to get this printer working again. Any kind advice would certainly be appreciated. Unfortunately my other Photosmart printer is also on the fritz, within a week of this one by coincidence. I've posted about it in a separate question.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Can someone assist?

HP Recommended

Hi @sergeantBrown,

I'd like to help!

Try the suggestions-

Reset the product

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn the printer on. HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thank you Jay_G24. I have tried the power reset more than once, to no avail.

My computer seems to have the proper drivers installed, but the printer is not reacting. It seems to be looking for something in card slot or from the network port. Could it be looking for new firmware from the memory card slot or the network port?

The HP website does not show any firmware available for this one. Would you please send me the firmware along with instructions on how to update/install it into the printer?

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi Jay_G24, thank you but would you please provide a direct link to the firmware file?  The page at the link that you sent does not show any firmware.

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Hi,
Was that posted by mistake? It is only a picture of the support page. (As I said, that support page doesn't mention firmware.)

HP Recommended

There are 2 updates for your printer. were you able to install them?

HP Recommended

Hi Jay_G24,

Those two updates are not firmware but I tried to install them anyway as you suggested. When I tried to update, the update installation said that my system does not need those updates. This happened with both of the update files.

I also tried to use the Utility Diagnostic tool. After launching the utility I saw that it has a menu item for "update firmware", but it only links back to the support page I started from (and that you posted a picture of).

After 10 messages on the HP support forum I am still at square one. I understand that this support forum is free and that both of my HP Photosmart printers are out of warranty, but I hope that there is a HP printer expert here who can help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.