Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi i am too facing the same problem with my mac... I am able to fire test print and have updated all the drivers/ softwares yet the same message persist..

Any solutions yet ?

Please advise.

Thanks

Regards

Sudhanshu Sharma

HP Recommended

Hi, is there a solution yet for using Apple Macs with Catalina operating system on HP printers that are not AirPrint compatible (those without wireless connectivity)?

HP Recommended

I had the same problem and followed the advice in this thread to no avail.  However, I suspected the HP Smart App as the culprit, since my Mac running Catalina v 10.15.4 printed to my HP Inkjet 1510 printer without issue UNTIL I installed the HP Smart App in order to print wirelessly to the new HP LaserJet Pro M14-M17.  I followed instructions for uninstalling the HP Smart App, reset all printing, restarted the computer, added the printer back using Apple's System Preferences Printers & Scanners.  The mac then said I was missing software for the printer, downloaded it from Apple, and voila, I can print to the Inkjet again.  I can't print to the wireless printer without installing the HP Smart App though, so debating if it's worth the risk/time sink.  Just wanted to post my resolution in case it helps anyone else spinning down the same time-sink.  Best of luck.

HP Recommended

Having the exact problem with my HP 4620 and Mac OS...definitely considering a different brand as I cannot print which is the most important function...Printer will copy and scan to my MacBook air, but won't print when connected with usb.  also will not connect to wifi router.  very frustrating to say the least.

HP Recommended

Just follow the directions at:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Print-doesn-t-work-quot-waiting-for-printer-to-become/...

and the problem will be solved. I hope that someday I'll understand why I had to install the HP printer, de-install it and then re-install it again. Either Apple or HP messed it up but fortunately there is a solution for the 'conundrum'...

HP Recommended

I have the same issue, however, I have not upgraded to Catalina so this problem was carried over from Mojave.  I am running OS 10.14.5 on a 2019 MacBook Pro.  I have tried all the solutions presented here and none work.  The website now has a notification saying if you are running Catalina to print via AirPrint.  That is not a solution.  Connecting via USB is my only option as I live in a remote area with no internet.  The printer worked fine with the USB until August of 2019.  I'm not sure what changed but my printer is now an anchor unless there is a fix.  Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 1.23.22 PM.png

HP Recommended

@SGS12, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Follow the steps below-

• Go to System Information to check the USB detection- try different port and cable if not detected
  • Are you using a USB hub?
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?

Keep me posted.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the tips.  I am using a USB hub since the new macs do not have integrated ports.  I have tried all three ports on the hub and still cannot print.  I do not have anti virus software installed and checked that nothing is being blocked.  When I called HP, I was told that my printer is just too old and advised to buy a new one.  I don't think that a printer that is working mechanically should have to be replaced when the system worked perfectly before.  

HP Recommended

Hi @SGS12,

Could be the USB port on the printer, have you tried a different cable?

Meanwhile. let's try to work on airprint issue-

I suggest you try RPC and disable and reenable bonjour to resolve the issue.

RPC

1. Turn the printer off, and then wait 10 seconds.
  2. Disconnect the printer power cord from the printer.
  3. Turn off the computer or the device you are trying to print from.
  4. Connect the printer power cord to the printer, and then turn on the printer.
  5. Disconnect the power cord from your wireless router, and then wait 10 seconds.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the router. Wait until Internet service is restored. Internet service is interrupted while the router is off.
  7. Turn on the computer.

Disable ad enable bonjour -

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 
--->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP

--->click on Advanced Settings--->Bonjour > Click the radio button to enable Bonjour

Printer_EWS_Bonjour_2

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

I appreciate repeating the power down and changing cord procedures, but these are all things that were already done.  And again, I cannot airprint without wifi as far as I know.  The printer is in a home that is in a remote region which is why the printer was purchased.  I can't simply "go to town" to print.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.