Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have done all of this and it does not work. I am frustrated.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I upgraded to Catalina, received error warning message and deleted HP driver as advised. I've uploaded HP smart etc. I scanned 2 pages and printed 1 page successfully. Now I have the same error message as above and am stuck.

It's probably easier to dump this otherwise perfectly good printer and buy another make.

HP Recommended

Hi @bixit,

I'd like to help!

May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

I have the OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus. After the Catalina upgrade it would not longer print or scan. Eventually, after the HP Device Monitor would gobble up so much CPU usage that me Magic Mouse would no longer operate, I had to delete all HP files. Now I can print, but cannot scan. Also, it will only print using the USB cable, no wireless connection is possible. Would really like to use the all-in-one printer for what it was meant to be, but it is just a fraction of what it should be. Looking for suggestions before I purchase something from Brother or Epson.

HP Recommended

Hi. I have an iMac (Catalina 10.15.7) and HP Officejet Pro 8600 All-in-one. It worked fine but all of a sudden gave me the error message "waiting for printer to become available" and I can't clear the error message. I have invested close to 6 hours between two different days. I've unplugged power cable from wall and printer, unplugged USB cable, let the printer sit for 5 minutes unplugged, held power button on for 30 seconds as instructed, restarted computer countless times, uninstalled HP software, reinstalled software, downloaded drivers multiple times, reset printing system, deleted printers and added them again. There aren't any documents in the queue. I have spent hours googling options to resolve this issue. Very frustrated.

HP Recommended

Download the HP Uninstaller software from HP.  Uninstall the HP software on your Mac.  Do not reinstall your print drivers or other software from HP.  Install the print driver from Apple.  You may have to find another app for scanning.  Image Capture works for me.  Good luck!

HP Recommended

I have an Officejet Pro 8600 Plus (N911g) connecting with an iMac running  Catalina 10.15.7.  I tried the recommended fix, but I  don't see an Airprint option to choose.  I can scan, but I get the eternal "Waiting for printer to become available" message. 

HP Recommended

Here's the latest. In a roundabout way, this has fixed the issue:

1. Completely remove the HP Drivers and folder. Make sue to keep the HP Scan driver. Send them to Trash. Then empty the Trash. Restart the Mac.

2. Remove the printer from Printers and Scanners. Restart.

3. Add the printer, allowing Mac to download the drivers. Use the Generic Printer Features.

I can now print and scan. I'm not sure that I have all of the options that I should have with the HP printer, but I'm a casual user, so it's OK. This really should not have been so difficult. It's hard to believe that there isn't a viable driver available from HP that is compatible with Catalina.

HP Recommended

Well, that was short-lived. The HP Device Monitor was creating a problem. This causes overwhelming CPU usage, which eventually causes MagicMouse2 to stop working correctly. Had to go into /library/printers and remove another HP folder. While this stops the CPU usage problem, it causes scanning to stop working. Can't scan using the controls on the printer, Image Capture, or HP Easy Scan. Now I need to find a scanning application that might work for me. Ugh!!!

HP Recommended

Hopefully this is my last post on this subject. I can now scan. Here's how I did it:

Printers & Scanners, click Scan. Let Mac download a driver. Now I open the Scan tab in Printers & Scanners, open Scanner, and scan. I can also use the printer control board to scan.

Again, this really should not be this difficult.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.