Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5660
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

My HP Envy 5660 is suddenly not feeding or printing properly when I use Silhouette brand printable vinyl. I use photo paper settings and have never had issues with it in the past, having printed many images with those settings and the same product successfully. Now, however, I get no error messages and the printer appears to print as usual, but only the bottom 20% or so of the image ends up being printed, on the top of the page, and there are multiple ink lines on the back.  The amount ending up being printed seems consistent across different files, as are the ink lines on the back. Please see photos. the change was sudden - one day the printer was able to effortlessly print on this material, the next I suddenly get a ruined page every time. If I print the same file on regular paper, ot works, so it's clearly an issue with the material.  Thanks for any help you can provide!

Front. The visible designs are the very bottom of the image I was attempting to print.Front. The visible designs are the very bottom of the image I was attempting to print.Back side, showing ink linesBack side, showing ink lines

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@roxbob

A warm welcome to HP forums! This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

Power resetting the printer, performing a printhead cleaning and then re-aligning the printer may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

1) Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector

2) Remove all of your ink cartridges from the printer and close the door

3) Remove the power cord from the back of the printer (Do no press the power button)

4) Plug the power cord back into the printer

5) Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the ink cartridges.

6) On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

The Setup menu displays.

7) Swipe the display up, and then touch Printer Maintenance.

😎 Touch Clean Cartridges.

9) On the printer control panel, swipe the display to scroll to Setup, and then touch the Setup icon .

10) Swipe the display to scroll to Printer Maintenance, and then touch Printer Maintenance.

11) Touch Clean Page Smears.

12) On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

13) Swipe the display down, and then touch Printer Maintenance.

14.) Touch Align Printer.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi - I went through all the steps that you suggested, and the printer is still doing the exact same thing. It also seems to be doing it with photo paper in addition to the printable vinyl, and as those things are my primary use of my printer, it's essentially useless to me at the moment. Very frustrating, especially since it's a reletively recent purchase. Any other ideas? Thanks! 

The reverse of the paper, showing the ink streaks that are being printed instead of 80% of the design on the correct side.The reverse of the paper, showing the ink streaks that are being printed instead of 80% of the design on the correct side.this is the very bottom of a full page of designs. The designs are cut off in the same way every time I try to print.this is the very bottom of a full page of designs. The designs are cut off in the same way every time I try to print.

HP Recommended

@roxbob

I'm afraid, its a possible hardware failure. Please call HP Support to obtain all available repair/replacement options. I've send you a private message with instructions on how to contact your regional HP Support. Could you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.
Thanks!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I also have the same problem. I have run into this proble before (about a year ago) and I managaed to fix it. I cannot rember how though. I followed the steps in this post - any suggestions? (I am using an HP Envy 4520 and "Inkjet Creative Media" paper from [edit]

HP Recommended

hi i have went threw the same steps as well....

Now on my part i dont use on a daily basis my Hp 5052 , I use maybe once every 2-3 weeks & print 2-3 pages in that session. and keep in mind i bought 10/10/2018. I dont print other items on regular printer paper; just strickly printable vinly. What could I do to fix this i just hate its not a random issue when others have the same pictures as me and also wasting ink as well trying to fix it. Is there a recall of the faulty product? Just want to get this issue fixed asap I have tons of orders that are now pilling up and dont want to spend on another printer if its going to do the same thing.

just an fyi i have an HP 17" laptop that I have always used with this printer and have never moved it and has always been in its place right out of the box.

frontbacksidebackside

HP Recommended

I’m currently having the same problem with my printer, I left for vacation came back and now it’s only printing on regular paper, no printable vinyl or water slide paper which I have never had a problem with. I’ve only had this printer maybe 3 or 4 months. Would I be able to get a link to call customer service to get this issue remedied. Thank you!

HP Recommended

@Mrswhitey

I have gone through your Post and I would like to help

Have you gone through all the troubleshooting steps suggested by @senan6806?

If the issue persists please contact HP Support for Service Options

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.