Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
TH73H6P06P
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was trying to SCAN in a document and I got a Printer Jam error. I have opened EVERY possible place on the printer and there is NO PAPER anywhere in the printer. I have tried turning it off/on and disconnecting the power cord for 2-3 minutes and turning it back on. I know there is no paper in there because the "jam" occurred as the first page was just starting to feed but it stopped almost immediately so no paper actually went into the printer. I need to print/scan some documents and all I keep seeing is the following error: "The original is jammed in the document feeder. Open the cover, remove and reload the original, and then try again." Yes, I've watched the video of where they allege there to be a jam and I've opened the feeder. THERE IS NO JAM. I did open the cover, remove the original and it still says there is a jam but, again, there is NO JAM. How do I reset the printer? Will it reset if I unplug it and leave it overnight??? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@jhens1998 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that Printer Jam Error but NO paper in the printer.

Make sure the carriage can move freely

Make sure the carriage moves freely across the width of the printer.

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

2. Open the cartridge access door.

Opening the ink cartridge access door

3. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

4. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

5. Unplug the power cord from the power source or electrical outlet.

WARNING: 

You must unplug the power cord to move the carriage by hand and reset the paper feed mechanism without the risk of electrical shock.

6. Use a flashlight to check for any paper or objects that might be restricting the carriage, and then remove any paper or objects that you find.

CAUTION: 

If the paper tears when you remove it from the rollers, check the rollers and wheels for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the printer. If pieces of paper remain in the printer, more paper jams can occur.

Checking the rollers and wheels for pieces of paper

7. Reach inside the printer through the ink cartridge access door, and then manually move the carriage.

• If the carriage is stuck on the right side of the printer, move the carriage to the left side of the printer.

• If the carriage is stuck on the left side of the printer, move the carriage to the right side of the printer.

• If the carriage is stuck in the middle of the printer, move the carriage to the right side of the printer.

8. Remove any loose paper or obstructions found.

9. Make sure the carriage can move freely across the width of the printer. Firmly push the carriage to the left side of the printer, and then push it to the right side.

10. Close the ink cartridge access door.

11. Reconnect the power cord and any other cables to the rear of the printer, and then turn on the printer.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.