Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Photo 6255
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My printer does not print although the black ink in the cartridge is not depleted.  Sometimes it  only prints half the page. It seems like the ink has dried up.  I would like to know what to do to prevent this happening as it is expensive to keep buying new ink cartridges.  Does one need to shutdown the printer completely between print jobs? or what? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@SAHARA4, Welcome to HP Support Community!

You don't have to restart the printer between print jobs or shut down the printer, but I'd suggest you don't leave the printer unused for long as it would cause drying of ink cartridges.

For now, follow the steps from the document Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues to isolate and resolve the issue.

Also, Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have installed a new ink cartridge and discarded the other one although it still had ink in it.  If it happens again I will follow your guidelines, i.e. using the set-up menu and tools for cleaning the cartridge.  Is that correct?  Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is "firmware" ? 

Also, You say I do not need to shutdown the printer after use.  Will shutting down add to the problem or make no difference? 

HP Recommended

@SAHARA4

Thanks for replying!

Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware to learn about updating the printer.

And, no the shutting down will not make any difference.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.