Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy AIO 6020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

i have just bought my new printer and i have a problem regarding the stand-by.

The printer turn on stand-by mode after a while (i have configured it to enter into this state after 15 minutes).

I have tried to send a printer job, but doesn't answer to any command.

I have tried to send a printer job through my Android Phone connected to the same Wifi.

If i open HP Smart, the program says the printer is offline (but it's powered on with the blue light).

It's impossible to switch off even by pressing the power button into the rear side.

The only way to get the printer working anymore  it's to unplug the power cord.

I have already updated the firmware to the latest (001.2049A), but the problem wasn't solved.

Anyone could help me?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Jay_G24,

i have found the root cause of my wifi issue.

I have checked all logs of my router and i have found a strange behavior related to my smart plug.

I try to explain (english is not my language 😉)

My router supports both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz band and Band Steering function.

Those smart plugs support only 2,4 Ghz, but they try to connect on 5 Ghz and after a while they block the router.

I have disabled this function ONLY on those peripherals and magically the printer has not any issue.

I don't understand how it could be possible.

I have a lot of pc, notebook and smartphone with support of 2,4/5 Ghz band and  i never encountered any issue with this configuration.

I think you can consider this problem as solved.

Thanks for your support.

Have a nice day

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @Canislupus80,

I'd like to help with the printer connectivity issue.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download a special version of HP Print and Scan Doctor specifically created to help with printer offline conditions.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.
  3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.
    • If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.
    • If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  4. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.
  5. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

Set a manual IP-

To set a manual IP and try the steps below -

Press(i) and ⬇️at the same time.To print a Network Configuration Page thatshows the network status, hostname, network name, and more

--->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP

--->then go to network ---> general ---> network protocols ---> select IPV4 only-->apply 

--->go to wireless ---> wireless 802.11---> select manual ip ---> apply

--->Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.  

--->then go to settings on the main ews page --> power management ---> select sleep mode to max 15min

Connect the printer to TCP/IP port

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

a. Click Start/Devices and Printers.  Right-click on your HP Printer.  Select Printer Properties.  Select the Ports tab at the top.

b.    Select Add Port.  Select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Select New Port.

c.    Follow the Add Port Wizard.  Under Printer Name or IP Address, .  Example:  192.168.1.15.  The IP address will be copied under Port Name.  

d.    Select Next and Finish the Wizard.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping 

HP Recommended

Hi Jay_G24,

i have tried all your suggestions but the problem still happens.

My printer has a static IP Address (before your post was automatically assigned through a reservation on DHCP Server) and my Pc use the TCP Port instead of WDS port.

I have seen that after 15 minutes the printer goes into stand-by mode and if i try to ping it, i receive a timeout answer.

It's possible that into this mode, WiFi lose his configuration or the network goes down even if the WiFi led is on?

Why it's not possible to disable this function?

It's really a stupid way to save energy.

Could you help me anymore?

If not, i have to ask for a refund and get another printer from a different brand.

Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

Were you able to set a manual IP?

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

--->In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

--->Select your HP printer.

--->Select Uninstall.

--->In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

--->In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

--->Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

--->Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

--->Click on the Drivers tab.

--->Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

--->Select OK.

--->Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

--->Close Devices and Printers.

And then reinstall the printer full-featured drivers from the software and drivers page  

HP Recommended

I have already set a manual IP and tried to install the printer into 3 different pc.

The problem is only one: PRINTER is offline when goes into stand-by mode.

I can see the wifi led blue connected, but if i try to send any printer jobs, all pc say that is offline.

I have tried to sent a ping request and after a bit more than 15 minutes, echo request goes on timeout.

It's a normal behavior?

Into standby mode i can't access to the printer through:

• integrated server web
  • HP Smart
  • Android Phone

I want to install the firmware, but i have the latest.

Thanks for your reply

HP Recommended

When you try and print from the android phone, does the printer show offline.

Would you mind checking if ipv6 is disabled and DNS is set correctly?

And also, try printing using the printer server plugin as an alternative on your android.

On your computer, please uninstall the drivers and install it back again so it connects to the right port.

Hope this helps!

Let me know!

HP Recommended

I have tried ALL your suggestions... the problem still happens.

After 20 minutes or less more printer goes offline.

I think there is something wrong with the firmware.

There is a way to force the firmware upgrade?

Otherwise i have to ask for a refund cause it's a shame to waste so much time to get a printer working.

HP Recommended

We could try a reset on the printer and then set it up again.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

HP Recommended

Hi,

i have re-initialize the printer, but the problem still happens.

Printer is powered on, wifi led is blue, but if i try to ping the IP Address after the standby, i get no response.

I want to understand only one thing.

When the printer goes into standby mode, are you sure that network doesn't go offline?

Anyone have the same problem or i have to think that my printer is damaged???

HP Recommended

To assist better -

1. Was the reset successful?
  2. Were you able to reconnect the printer?    

Check Windows Function Discovery services

1. In Windows, search for and open Services.

2. Find Function Discovery Provider Host and Function Discovery Resource Publication in the list.

3. For both, make sure the Status is Running and Startup Type is Automatic.

Making sure the Function Discovery services are running and automatic

4. If one or both items has a Manual Startup Type or is not running, right-click the item, select Properties, change the Startup Type to Automatic, click Apply, click Start, and then click OK.

5. Close the Services window.

Check network issues and setup requirements if the printer is not found during software installs or when wireless print jobs fail.

• Poor network connection: Move the printer and computer or mobile device closer to the wireless router, and then check if the signal quality improved. Try opening a website to see if the internet connection is working properly. If Wi-Fi is slow or intermittent, restart the router by disconnecting the power cord, waiting 15 seconds, and then reconnecting the cord.

• Check the printer connection status: Make sure the wireless signal is on, and the printer is connected to the same network as your computer or mobile device. If your printer has a light next to a Wireless icon or button , make sure the light is on. If it is off or blinks the printer is disconnected from the network.

• Reconnect the printer to the network:

• Printers with touchscreens: Open the Wireless Setup Wizard from the Wireless, Settings, or Network Setup menu. Select your network name, and then enter the password to complete the connection.

• Printers without touchscreens: Press and hold the Wireless button on the printer until the light starts blinking. Within two minutes press and hold the WPS button on the router. The light on the printer stops flashing when the connection completes.

• Restart devices: Restart the printer and the computer or mobile device to clear possible error conditions.

• Print a Wireless Test Report: Search the HP Customer Support website for your printer model, and then search for self-test page to find the document on how to print and share the report.

Keep me posted!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.