Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
officejet 7510
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My printer will print our written documents in black ink. BUT when there is a colour document which I do not require to be printed in colour, despite me selecting black and white, the printer produces a colour document. This is a waste of ink. Print/scan doctor cannot detect any problems.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Storm7

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I Understand the printer is not printing in black/white,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you check if genuine HP ink cartridges are being used?

Have you checked the estimated ink levels?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to known:

Step 1: Use genuine HP ink cartridges

HP recommends that you use genuine HP ink or toner supplies. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP or refilled cartridges. If you do not use genuine HP cartridges, the steps in this document might not resolve the issue. To check the authenticity of your cartridges, go to hp.com/go/anticounterfeit.

Visit HP SureSupply to check ink or toner cartridge compatibility or purchase replacement cartridges and other supplies.

1. Go to HP SureSupply.

2. If necessary, select your country/region.

Figure : Country/region selector

Selecting your country/region
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to order new supplies or check cartridge compatibility with your printer.

You can also purchase genuine HP cartridges and supplies from other retailers.

If installing genuine HP ink cartridges resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.

Step 2: Check estimated ink levels

If your printer is having issues printing black ink, the black ink might be low, and the printer might be running in backup mode. Check estimated ink levels to see if any ink cartridges are critically low or empty.

When a message displays stating that an ink cartridge is empty, the empty ink cartridge must be replaced before you can continue printing. Ink must be available in each ink cartridge to run printhead servicing tasks and prevent nozzles from clogging with ink.

On the printer control panel, touch the Ink Level Indicator icon .

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(by the end of this document, all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

All ink levels are correct and are all HP ink products, the printer prints black and white documents in black and white BUT when there is a colour document which I do not require to be printed in colour and I tick the black and white box, the document is still printing in colour wasting my coloured ink

HP Recommended

@Storm7

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

In that case, I recommend using the gray-scale option to print in B&w, here are the steps:

Depending on your printer software there are two different methods to set grayscale and black ink only.

1. Inside printer preferences you switch to the Features tab. Here you should see grayscale in the bottom left corner. Once grayscale is selected you may switch quality to black ink only. Then press ok.
  2. In printer preferences you click on the Advanced button. You should see a "Print in grayscale" option set to "Off" switch it to grayscale or black ink only and press ok.

I have a few more tricks up my sleeve if this doesn't work, so make sure you get back to me 😉

That said, If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed all the directions, now there is no black and white at all.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem with my HP OfficeJet 3830? There is no option under "Paper/Quality" or "Features" that allows black and white printing like my previous printer allowed. This forces us to have to print in color which is a costly waste of ink. What is going on? How do we fix this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.