Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 5740

Hello!  My officejet 5740 is not reading my blank ink cartridge. Tried everything on these boards.  Still nothing.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Arron23 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the officejet 5740 is not reading my blank ink cartridge.

Please let us know if you are using HP genuine ink cartridge.

Are you able to make the photocopy?

Please clean the eltical conatct of the ink cartridge and check.

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic report

Follow these steps to print a Print Quality Diagnostic report.

1. Load U.S. letter or A4 size, unused, plain white paper into the input tray.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

The Setup menu displays.

3. Touch Reports, and then touch Print Quality Report.

A Print Quality Diagnostic page prints.

Please Clean the ink cartridges

Follow these steps to clean the ink cartridges from the printer control panel.

NOTE: 

To avoid issues that require cleaning, always turn the printer off with the Power button.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

The Setup menu displays.

3. Swipe the display up, and then touch Printer Maintenance.

4. Touch Clean Cartridges.

A Print Quality Diagnostic report prints.

5. Examine the Print Quality Diagnostic report.

Please Align the printer

Follow these steps to align the printer from the control panel.

The Setup menu displays.

3. Swipe the display down, and then touch Printer Maintenance.

4. Touch Align Printer.

5. After the printer prints the alignment page, touch OK, and then recycle or discard the alignment page.

6. Try to print.

If the issue still persists, you have to replace the ink cartridges.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hello - thanks for your response.  Unfortunately, I had already tried those solutions, to no avail.  i am using the correct HP cartridge, and have now bought two new ones. The color cartridge works fine.  The black cartridge reads (and prints) as empty.  

Has anyone else had this issue before?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

@Arron23

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.