cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
MelP19
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Printer printing slowly

HP Recommended
HP officejet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have a hp printer 4650. It has started printing really slowly. I have tried all of the troubleshooting ideas and nothing works. 

1 REPLY 1
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
33,267 26,623 2,422 8,860
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is the printer slow when making copies as well as printing from the PC?

Watch the printer as it is printing a page.  Does the printer make a swath of the printhead, then wait 10-15 seconds, then another swath?  Or does the printer make many many swaths across the page with only minimal paper movement between swaths?

If the printer is delaying 10-15 seconds between swaths it is likely an ink cartridge that has failed.  Try the following:  remove the color cartridge, then send a print job to the printer (copy will probably not work, will need to be a print from the computer).  If the printer now prints at near normal speed the color cartridge was at fault and should be replaced.  If the printer is still slow replace the color cartridge in the printer and remove the black cartridge.  Now print a page.  If the print is now near normal speed the black cartridge is at fault and should be replaced.

If the printer is making many passes across the page check the paper/quality settings in the driver.  Make sure the proper media type is selected.  If you print on plain paper with photo paper selected the print will be very slow.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation