Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4520
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I have an Envy 4520 that goes into sleep mode and cannot be woken up via print job or by the LCD screen.
I have to unplug and plug it in every time I need to print something.
Seems like every time the warranty runs out on wireless printers they start having dumb issues.
I wish I could just have a reliable printer that... prints!!!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @Busycloud

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Have you tried printing from any other device and check if the issue persists?

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your MAC.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on MAC (Make sure you have ver 10.15.3)

Click here to know how.

On the printer screen, go to Setup > Power handling > Sleep mode > Set it to after 15 mins

Auto-off > Set it to 2 hrs.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if there are any updates available for the wireless router.

Reboot the wireless router, the printer, and the MAC. Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've already done all of what you have mentioned.

It just keeps going to sleep and never waking up unless I unplug it and plug it back in. This utterly defeats the purpose of a "wireless" printer!!!!

HP Recommended

@Busycloud

Assigning a static IP address to the printer will help in resolving this issue.

The steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here.

For the DNS servers please use 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS server. These are Google’s public DNS servers.

Note - Static IP needs to be setup outside DHCP range- Since the default DHCP address range is between 100 and 149, you'll want to avoid all of the addresses between 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.149 when you're assigning static IP addresses. That leaves the ranges from 2-99 and from 150-254 wide open, which is usually plenty for most home networks.  

Let me know how this goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

All this for a wireless printer that should work out of the box?!!! 

Thanks for your reply, I'll give this a try.

HP Recommended

@Busycloud

I understand your concern. The issue is related to the network and hence we are assigning a static IP address to resolve this issue.

Try the steps provided in my previous post and let me know how it goes.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, these steps didn't help. The printer worked fine for a couple days then back to not waking up. When I say it doesn't wake up, I also mean that if you touch the lcd screen on the printer, it doesn't wake up. Nor does it wake up to accept print jobs.

I have to unplug it every time just to use it!

HP Recommended

@Busycloud, that's unfortunate. 

Does this happen after 2 hours of inactivity on the printer?

There are 2 power-saving modes in a printer as below: 

Sleep mode automatically puts the printer into a lower-power state after a set period of time of non-use. The printer returns to its normal power state when you send another print or scan job.

A printer in sleep mode might display some of the following characteristics:

• The control panel display is dark

• The power light is slowly pulsing

• The power light is dim

Auto-Off, sometimes called Power Save Mode, turns the printer completely off after a set period of time (usually two hours). You must press the power button to turn the printer back on.

The Auto-off feature cannot be disabled on this model printer. it is as per design.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There are times when pushing the power button or touching the lcd does not wake it up.

HP Recommended

@Busycloud

If the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.