Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Office Jet Pro 8715
macOS 10.15 Catalina

My macOS is actually 11.1, Big Sur, but that isn't a choice on the list yet. I'm not sure if the below problems began before or after the new OS was installed (about a month ago).

The printer is connected via Ethernet. I have had this printer for 2 years, with no problems until now.

Two problems that began at the same time:

1.) When I try to print a page, the printer makes all of the right sounds but stops just short of printing. The status notification says "Printing--waiting for job to complete."  If I cancel the job and try again, the notification is "Printing--the printer is in use." There are no error messages. At this point, if I turn the printer off and back on, it always prints just fine. But if I wait too long to print again (I don't know how long) it will not print. 

2.) When I am able to get it to print, the print quality is fine. However, there have been several times when the print quality was very bad--full of visual gibberish. A small part of the page (the top) printed correctly but the rest of the page was filled with colored (or gray) rectangles, resembling an explosion of bar codes. This has happened at least 6 times. 

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the HP printer software to no avail.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@aleero, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To be able to assist you better, I would like to know the following:

• Are the printer and PC connected to the same network?
  • Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?
  • What is the distance between the router and the printer?
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results?

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. 

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding.

Unless I am mistaken, judging from the questions, there seems to be an assumption that I have a WiFi connection to my printer. I am actually connected by cable via Ethernet. Nonetheless, I will try to answer your questions. Please note that I am only moderately computer-savvy and had to look up the meaning of some of the terms you used.

1. Printer & computer are on same network

2. Router is both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

3. Distance between router & printer is 18 inches.

4. Yes, Norton antivirus for Mac.

5. Ping test: Apparently Apple deprecated the Network Utility with the release of OS Big Sur. I found that the same test could be run through Terminal. I wasn't sure how long to run it.

I have attached Ping and WiFi info. you requested:

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 2.44.53 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-12-22 at 2.47.49 PM.jpg

HP Recommended

@aleero

Thanks for replying!

Ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

Remove and add the printer

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign, and then delete the printer.

Select printer and click the minus sign

Click the Plus sign, and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select AirPrint

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I followed the steps you suggested:

The Mac software is up to date.

I had a little trouble updating the printer firmware. The firmware updater ran & ran but did nothing. The wheel just kept spinning. So I checked the "manual" box and tried installing it manually, using IPv4 and IP address 10.0.0.187. Then I got the message, "The Firmware Updater does not contain upgrades for your device." Which leads me to believe I am up to date.  I checked HP Smart and see that I have ver. WBP2CN2042AR.

I also removed and added the printer as instructed.

Unfortunately, the problem persists. As before, when I try to print, the printer sounds like it is preparing to print, but doesn't finish. The printer status notification says ""Printing-connecting to printer." I waited 2-3 minutes, and it finally printed but it was a page of gibberish (see attached scan) and the status changed to "ready to print."  When I clicked the resume arrow, it printed the page normally. I tried to print something else and the same sequence happened.

Here's the scan of the bad print. 

print results.jpeg

HP Recommended

@aleero

Thanks for replying!

Let us try resetting the printing system. Follow the steps below-

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Printers & Scanners, Print & Scan, or Print & Fax.

3. Right-click (or Control + click) anywhere inside the Printers window, and then click Reset printing system.

Figure : Clicking Reset printing system

Image: Click Reset printing system
  4. Click Reset or OK.

5. If prompted, type your username and password, and then click OK.

The printing system resets.

6. Turn off the printer, wait 5 seconds, and then turn on the printer.

7. Wait until the printer is idle and silent.

8. In the Printers window on the Mac, click the Add button .

9. Select your printer from the list, and then click Add.

It might take a few seconds before your printer displays in the Printers list.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I reset the printing system, but the problem has not been resolved.

When I tried to print, the printer made the ususal noises and then did nothing for nearly 5 minutes. Then it printed a page of rectangles like the one I posted. When I clicked pause/resume, it printed correctly. 

When I tried to print another page, it sat for 6 minutes and "printed" a blank page. After that, I couldn't get it to print at all. That's when I have to turn the printer off and back on to get a print.

HP Recommended

@aleero

Thanks for replying!

I appreciate your efforts and time in trying to resolve the issue.

I'd further recommend you reach out to HP Support in your region for remote assistance.

Hope this helps!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The problem is still there, so I can't click "Accept as Solution."

My workaround is to keep the printer turned off until I need to print something. That's the only thing that works consistently.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.