Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I removed the print head, cleaned it, unclogged the jets several times, gently cleaned the brass contacts with a soft cloth, put the print head back in, pushed the lever down to lock it in place.  Then replaced the cartridges.  I get the same message about print head missing, not detected or incorrectly installed.  I press the message on the digital display and get a message that the cartridges are empty.  I go through all of it again and clean the print head, reinstall the ink cartridges.  I can hear the ink heads going through the ink jet cleaning process because the sound of print head springs being depressed starts.  I still get messages that the print head is missing and the cartridges are empty.  I replaced all the ink cartridges with a full set of new cartridges and get different empty cartridge illustrations on the desktop HP visual.  I used an entire set of new ink cartridges.   A new print head and a new set of cartridges costs just about the same as purchasing a new printer.   I need to know how close I am to resolving this problem.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Marree

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Please let us know which printer do you have.

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Betty,

I have an HPInkjet Pro 8600 All in One N911a

HP Recommended

Hello Betty,

As another note of information, I installed a new HP printer driver that should be compatible with this printer since it is running off a computer using Windows 10.  I still get the same message about print head missing, not detected or installed incorrectly.  The ink cartridges show that they are depleted and then when I take them out and put them back in the display shows different ink levels.  Suggestions!?!?!?

HP Recommended

Try the steps from here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04100778

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.