Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

A couple of years ago I was in a hurry to print documents. My Officejet pro 8600  displayed  the message "Missing or failed printhead" The printhead appears to be missing, not detected or incorrectly installed". I had already purchased literally hundreds of dollars of cartridges. I replaced the 3 HP color cartridges and the black one even though they were still very full. At the time there were a bunch of posts with similar complaints and there was some indication from HP that there was a coding correction that could be downloaded to address the problem. I tried to do the things suggested-nothing worked. I was desperate and purchased an Envy 6000 that did not sue the same cartridges. It was a piece of crap. Now I see people are being told that they have a problematic printhead instead of the previous message indicating there was a coding error that could be corrected with a downloaded fix. Now that the Envy is not working, I thought I'd try again to get the much more expensive  8600 working. I don't believe for a second this is a hardware issue. It appears obvious it is a a software issue. Loads of people had the same problem at the same time.  I have about 5 HP printers in my garage- They usually don't work at the time most needed and I've been desperate to meet a deadline so I'd run out to the nearest big box store where most of the computers were HPs. . Now with more time, I will buy online from another company. I will also dig out the broken printers in the garage, stack the Envy and the 8600 on top of them, take a picture of the pile with the HP cartridges that are still unused  and I'll post the picture  every place I can-unless HP provides a way to get the printer working before I'm able to drag out the printers for the picture.    I use Mac IOS Ventura 13.2. Obviously HP. does not want it's printers to still work after a certain amount of time. They didn't list recent operating systems for the 8600. Did they change configurations in their carriages or in a push code that prevents the cartridges from being detected so people go out and buy new HP's? 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

IMG_1626.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi @Riptoff20020,

Welcome to the HP support community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.  

Please help us with the Printer serial number or the product number on a private message for further assistance.

Here is the link to find the product number:- Click here

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP 

Support Community profile, next to your profile Name.

Alden4
HP Support  

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.