cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Printing to HP Deskjet 2510 from a Mac desktop

HP Recommended
Deskjet 2510 All in One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I am trying to print to my wired inkjet printer from a Mac. The Mac and laptop are both on the same home network. The printer is connected directly to the pc laptop and shared on the network.

When I try to print from the Mac, I get a message that says "Hold for Authentication" and then a dialog box appears that asks me to enter a name and password for the printer. I never set up a password for the printer and can't find a place to find out what it would be.

I think the name is my email address because the dialog box always defaults to that. There is also a user listed in the advanced settings of the printer with my email. I tried to edit that user, but there is no password setting.

Can you help me find out what the username and password of my printer would be so I can authenticate it with my Mac because I can't print until I do this? Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
24,137 24,025 1,327 1,410
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kcelsi1972

Welcome to HP forums, I see that your getting "Hold for authentication" error while printing form Mac.

I am eager to assist you.

I will have to do a research on this case to provide a perfect solution.

I will get back to you on this in 24-48hrs.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That would be great. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kcelsi1972

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

From my understanding while installing the printer on your Windows computer, you have selected the option to share the printer with authentication.

If you not recall the username and password set during the sharing process, request to uninstall the printer on your Windows computer and configure the printer on your router and then configure the printer back on the Windows and MAC. if you can help me with the router information, I can guide you with the procedure.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same post a Kudos.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. If you could give me step by step instructions of what I need to do, that would be great. Do I need a link to download a driver to re-install the printer on Windows 10? I don't remember how I installed it initially.

My router is a Sagemcom F@st 3965CV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kcelsi1972

Thanks for writing back to us.

I made a deep research and see that this printer has only USB connectivity option.

However, I have found a steps to share the printer connected to Windows computer.

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.

2. Click the Add button  at the bottom of the printer list, then click Windows.

A network browser appears, listing the Windows workgroups on your network.

3. Select the printer from the network browser.

To locate the printer in the browser, click the workgroup, then click the print server (the computer that’s sharing the printer). If prompted, enter the user name and password for the print server.

4. Click the Use pop-up menu, then choose the appropriate printer software.

5. Click Add.

You can refer this article for more information: Click here

Let me if that helps.

If this helps, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've done that already. I need to know how to re-install the printer on the Windows laptop and configure the router so that I can set a password to enter into the Mac when prompted. Now I don't have a password and don't know how to create one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 829 1,507
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kcelsi1972

Thanks for your reply. I truly appreciate your patience and efforts.

As @sandytechy20 is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

I can provide you the steps to uninstall the printer from the Windows operating system. However, I do not think that may solve the issue in this case. Your HP Deskjet 2510 All-in-One Printer can only be connected via USB and cannot be directly configured via the router. 

Most printers are compatible with macOS. When you add a printer, macOS automatically uses AirPrint to connect to the printer or downloads the printer’s software (also called a printer driver).

If you can’t use a printer you already added, or you don’t see the options you want in the Print dialog, you can add the printer again with different settings or different printer software.

Add your printer with a different settings

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.

2. Select your printer in the list, then click the Remove button .

3. Click the Add button , and if a pop-up menu appears, choose Add Printer or Scanner.

A dialog appears listing any Bonjour, IP, shared, and Open Directory printers on your local network. It may take a minute or two for your printer to appear.

4. Select your printer when it appears in the list, then do one of the following:

• Use AirPrint: Click the Use pop-up menu, then choose AirPrint (or Secure AirPrint). If AirPrint isn’t in the pop-up menu, your printer doesn’t support it.

• Use printer software installed on your Mac or downloaded from Apple: Click the Use pop-up menu, then choose Select Software.

• Use printer software from a file on your Mac: Click the Use pop-up menu, then choose Other. Select the file, then click Add.

Update your printer software

If your printer isn’t using AirPrint, you can use Software Update to download the latest software. If you don’t do this, you may see a message that software isn’t available when you connect your printer.

• Choose Apple menu > App Store, then click Updates.

Install any software updates listed for your printer.

• If software for your printer isn’t available using Software Update, you can contact the manufacturer for information. It may be that your printer isn’t compatible with macOS. To check, see the Apple Support article Printer and scanner software available for download.

If you install printer software that you didn’t get from Apple, your printer’s software may not be updated automatically when you use Software Update.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

All the best! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 829 1,507
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kcelsi1972

Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

During further research, we found that this appears to be Windows related password. This is not a Mac issue. (Thanks to our Forums community expert @StretchMusic for the suggestion).

For now, you may connect the printer directly to the Mac if possible and print to verify it does not prompt for a password.

Also, you may try to turn off the password protected sharing in Windows and check if that helps to print from Mac.

Follow the steps below to Turn off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10

Step 1: Enter sharing in the search box and choose Manage advanced sharing settings from the result.

manage advanced sharing settings

Step 2: Click the down arrow on the right of All Networks to expand the settings.

arrow down

Step 3: Select Turn off password protected sharing and tap Save changes.

turn off

Let me know the outcome. Cheers! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok, so I tried printing with network password required unchecked and it didn't work. Still asked for login. Then I tried connecting directly to the printer and that works. When I tried to access the printer remotely again, it says:

"Enter your user name and password for the print server "my laptop name".  Connect as [registered user selected]. 

I tried entering my Microsoft user name and password, but that didn't work.

WHAT IS MY PRINT SERVER USERNAME AND PASSWORD???? HOW DO I FIND OUT WHAT IT IS??? PLEASE HELP??? I NEED THESE TWO THINGS FOR THIS TO WORK. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation