Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I tried to print something from my MacBook and had the above message come up.  How can I fix this?

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

I had the same problem after upgrading to Mac OS Catalina.  I had installed my printer on the previous version.  Try resetting your print system.  Follow these steps:

• Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
  • Click “Printers and Scanner”, then "Print".  
  • Right-click on the printer name, then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
  • Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners
  • If your printer does not display automatically, click the “Add button” (+).
  • Find, and then select the name

You should be able to print now.

Cheers

HP Recommended

I had same problem too and was getting that "will damage your computer" message on multiple of the files in my HP Utility folder. Looks like there is something weird going on with "a macOS error that claims the software is malware" - see https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/10/23/some-mac-users-being-warned-that-amazon-music-app-and-hp-... just posted a few hours ago.

Thanks for the re-set info, that enabled me to print again. Looks like there is something weird

HP Recommended

How does one fix this to resume normal printing ?

HP Recommended

did exactly as listed but still received the message and won't print !!! 

HP Recommended

It really looks like those who are experiencing this issue are running older software signed with a certificate that expired today.

There are no printer models listed in this thread so I'm not sure exactly where to direct you.

If your printer is supported by HP Easy Start then you can follow the instructions below.

If you have an older device (6+ years) it may be supported by Apple Software Update.  In which case Apple just released an update today through Software Update or directly from here.

HP Easy Start instructions:

Please update your software using HP Easy Start.

1. Download HP Easy Start

2. Follow the prompts for setting up your printer.  When you get to the software download it will show whether the software needs updated or not.  If it does the box next to Printer Essentials will be checked by default and you just need to select the Install button.

The following should not be necessary but if you want to be extra diligent and guarantee a clean new install.

1. Download HP Easy Start

2. Open HP Easy Start and Select the HP Easy Start Menu in the macOS menu bar.  In this menu select Uninstall HP Software.

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 2.04.26 PM.png

3.Select Continue to start the Uninstall process

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 2.04.40 PM.png

4. Once the uninstall completes.  Select Set Up New Device.

5. Go through the new device setup process by following the prompts.

6. This will lead to the software download/install prompt.

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 2.07.41 PM.png

7. Select install and the remaining prompts to finish the process.

Edit:  Systems administrators and those unable to use HP Easy Start can use HP Easy Admin to download the software pkg files directly.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

This didn't work for me. Running mac Catalina. I trashed those filters, reset printer, ran disk first aid but nothing prints. I get a dialogue saying "looking for printer" that then disappears. Nothing printed.

HP Recommended

This didn't work for me. Option to uninstall was grayed out. Printer is HP Laser Jet 3502

HP Recommended

Uninstall will be disabled if you move past the very first screen after launching HP Easy Start.

Do not accept the licensing and check the menu.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

After using the HP Easy Start and the uninstall, I went to install software for a printer, which was found. 

As it was running, a dialog that 'hpdm.framework will damage your computer' or something quite similar popped up and had to be ok'ed about 5 times. 

This also happened after downloading the driver package from Apple and trying to perform the package install. The installer then just hung and one can't close it. Finally had to force quit it from the Activity Monitor. 

Went to print a document, and interestingly, was able to then do so through AirPrint, finding the printer and using it that way. So it must be an issue with the HP drivers and frameworks and gatekeeper.

Man, this gatekeeper system in Catalina is a serious pain.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.