Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-ac161nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Our HP Windows 10-home notebook laptop and HP Officejet Pro 8710 Printer seem to be having a war when it comes to printing. Laptop is wireless, but WiFi is strong. BIOS, HP and Windows updates are up-to-date. Printer is connected to Router via Ethernet cable. Laptop & printer are on the same network. Printer works fine from iPhone & iPad and other Windows computers.

Summary of random printing problems:

• Printer says ready. Trying to print simple 1-page Word document from HP laptop. Printer makes a getting ready sound but nothing prints out immediately. Eventually (3-4 minutes later) it prints out just a few lines of the document. 10-15 minutes later (sometimes 30+ minutes later) the entire document prints out .. OR sometimes you hear an audible ding from printer, more paper alignment sounds and then nothing ever happens
  • Eventually the laptop show a printing error, but when I go to cancel all documents it prints the entire stuck document
  • This behavior is ONLY from the HP laptop .. Officejet prints fine from all other devices.
  • Same behavior when printing from Outlook 2016 or PDF document
  • Printer is OFFLINE, but Officejet 8710 is online on all other computers in our home
  • Rebooting laptop sometimes brings printer back to Ready .. but after sending one thing to the printer, it goes OFFLINE and can’t print again .. sometimes it remains offline, sometimes it goes back to ready after an extended period of time
  • Laptop is using AVG free .. updates are current. I added printer IP address as an exception, two documents printed fine .. 3rd one is stuck (says pending).

SUMMARY OF THINGS CHECKED ..

• uninstalled and reinstalled the printer
  • managing printers through control panel (tried letting windows manage with no difference)
  • quiet mode on printer is off
  • web access test results report printed fine directly from printer
  • using Standard TCP/IP port with correct printer IP address on laptop
  • Driver Properties: HP Officejet Pro 8710 PCL-3   version: Type 4 – User Mode

SUMMARY OF THINGS WONDERING ABOUT..

• Feeling it must be some setting on the HP laptop
  • Scan doctor run on laptop doesn’t find anything
  • When I access my ARRIS router I see the printer listed. Is there anything I should do in terms of configuration? If yes, what and how.
  • How do I verify the print que? Could it be going to Root Print Queue instead of Officejet Pro 8710 PCL-3?   If yes, how do I verify and change it?

So frustrating that the printing function is on again, off again. A HUGE headache when working from home!

ANY/ALL ideas welcome!!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Uninstall AVG then reboot laptop.

Try printing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.