Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP officejet 5220
macOS 10.15 Catalina

My printer was working fine until I changed the ink this morning. 

I printed off the alignment page, but there seems to be some white lines in the page like there are sections of text and image missing. 
It told me the alignment failed, but then the screen flicked over and said the printer is set to default mode. Since then the print quality is terrible, with sections of text missing, and all the black coming out a hazy grey. 

I have tried realigning, it does the same thing. 

I have tried turning it off, and back on.

I have tried a hard reset.

I have tried printing a photocopy (same bad quality results) 

I have tried taking out the cartridges and putting them back in. 

I have tried cleaning the cartridges. 

Any advice on how to make it work again? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@artlis, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this issue by performing the necessary troubleshooting steps.

Did you replace the black ink cartridge?

As you have tried all the necessary steps and the issue persists, this could be a defective ink cartridge. 

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for replacement options. 

For more info on resolving print quality issues, refer to - Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.