Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 All-in-One Printer -
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to replace the Printhead in my HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 All-in-One Printer -  Product number:K7S42A V and the instructions I'm finding on the HP sites are for New Printers that it tells you that you must use the SETUP Cartridges that came with the printer.  I bought a new Printhead, (the printer is NOT new) so do I have to use SETUP cartridges or can I just use the normal cartridges for the Printer since the printer has been in use for about a year.? If not, where can I buy SETUP Cartridges. The Printhead that's in now is pretty bad so an ASAP answer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much

Stay Safe & Healthy

Jerry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As long and hard as I looked I could not find the SETUP Cartridges until today. I found them at E-bay.

I guess we'll call this solved now. Thanks for ll your time and effort.

Jerry

Genuine HP 952 setup ink cartridge HP Office Jet Pro 8740

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@JerryY, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

When you buy a new printhead, the setup ink cartridges come with it. It is a package. You will have to use the ink cartridges that comes with the printhead to initialize the printer.

Make sure you get the ink cartridges with the printhead when you buy it.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I didn't buy the printhead from HP...they didn't have any and besides the support team member I spoke to did not recommend replacing the printhead. Rather she suggested I buy a new printer. I bought it from Newegg.com and the cartridges don't come with it. They sell them but they're out of stock.

Isn't there a workaround you can do to use new cartridges rather than setup cartridges?

Thanks for your help

Jerry

HP Recommended

@JerryY

Let us try to perform an OOB reset to bypass the use of setup inks. 

I have sent you a private message with the reset instructions to bypass the use of setup ink cartridges. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My Firmware is Version WEBPDLPP1N001.2026B.00 not the 1910A that they talk about blocking the printer when using a different cartridge.

Maybe I don't have to do anything?

Jerry

HP Recommended

As long and hard as I looked I could not find the SETUP Cartridges until today. I found them at E-bay.

I guess we'll call this solved now. Thanks for ll your time and effort.

Jerry

Genuine HP 952 setup ink cartridge HP Office Jet Pro 8740

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.