Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Same issue for me and the frequency has multiplied in the last two weeks. I am unplugging and plugging in the printer several times a day to keep it going. The printer is connected by ethernet and the blue screen error is always B305DFF9. I have removed and replaced the cartridges several times, AND the print carriage too. Does not seem to help. This has been a rare problem for months, but lately is ridiculous how often it fails. I ran the Scan Doctor utilities and everything is fine and the firmware is up to date.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @APeterC,

I'd like to help!

Let's try a power reset on the printer

Reset the product

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn the printer on. HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

View solution in original post

154 REPLIES 154
HP Recommended

Extra information -- I unplugged the internet cable and the printer is "offline" and useful as a copy machine and nothing else. It has been about sixteen hours and no blue screen! I will let it go a few more hours, but my experience over the last two weeks is a blue screen every three hours or so. It makes me wonder if the printer is broken or someone on my network is messing with the printer via the internet to cause the blue screens.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem you describe with my Mac-connected printer.  Same time period you describe.  I just checked the warranty on the printer and see it expired around the time this problem started.  Able to print after turning off the printer at the electric source, but after it sits idle for a few minutes goes into the Blue Screen error.  

HP Recommended

36 hours and no blue screen in the "offline" mode. I connected the ethernet this morning, printed some pages and then disconnected the ethernet again.

One note: the firmware is up to date AND the date on the last firmware update was the 29th of January -- about two weeks ago when the problems starting happening...

My conclusion for the moment is that something on my small network is agravating the printer and the printer is reacting with blue screens. I have three Windows 10 devices, two Ubuntu devices, occasionally a Mac or two and the ARRIS BGW210-700 router as potential trouble causing candidates. I will try to sort out who is making the trouble...

HP Recommended

I disconnecte my Ubuntu computers from the network, reconnected the printer and got a blue screen within on hour. Strangely, it was a diffirent code: B805D8A0

I will be resetting my router soon -- it has been trouble for us off and on again for awhile and usually things stable out for a week after resetting the router. We will see if it affects the blue screens on the printer.

HP Recommended

Hi @APeterC,

I'd like to help!

Let's try a power reset on the printer

Reset the product

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn the printer on. HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion. I unplugged the printer for twenty minutes and within an hour had another blue screen. 

Additional information: I turned off two of my windows 10 computers for the night and had no blue screens. I turned on the two computers one at a time and within an hour or so, had a blue screen. So, the printer with no ethernet connection does not seem to blue screen, but when either of two windows 10 machines are connected, it blue screens within an hour or so. It is strange that the third windows 10 machine does not seem to make trouble for the printer. The router in the house has been reset and the Ubuntu computers are disconnected from the the network and cannot talk to the printer. There are a couple of Apple computers on the network.

Something is aggravating the printer and the printer is behaving really bad in response to whatever it is. It seems that either the recent firmware update in the printer or a windows 10 update might be behind the rash of blue screens...

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and I have already made sure the drivers and printer's firmware are the most recent.  It has done nothing to alleviate the problem.  The printer will still go in to it's "blue screen of death" with error code B305DFF9 every day or so.

Any idea what that particular error code is telling us?

-Ron

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me.  I followed your instructions and got the message:

This firmware update does not contain upgrades for your device.

I have reached out to Assurion with whom I have an extended warranty.  They are sending me a box with instructions to return the printer and have it repaired.  I'll just have to go without my printer while this is sorted out; however, if you have another suggestion, I am willing to try before returning the printer.

HP Recommended

More information -- I turned off the two win 10 computers again for the night and this time I got a blue screen on the printer, so the printer with any of the three win 10 computers connected equals a blue screen. Unplug the ethernet cable and no troubles, but also no ability to print.

Intersting note: My mother has a similar setup in her place. She has the same computer as my wife [the third computer] and the exact same printer. I do that so I can help her over the phone because we have the same equipment. She is not reporting blue screens on her printer...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.