Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My officejet 4500 prints a shadow below each letter only when I print PDFs.  When I print a Word document, the print is clear.  Under a 35 power scope, the shadow has color elements in it.  Doing repeated alignments has not helped.  Seems to me that one solution would be to tell the printer that PDFs are black and white only.  Is there a way to do that?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@TheGear

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are your HP Officejet 4500 Printer is printing shadow and you are getting print quality issues. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

Check the print settings.

1. In the program you are trying to print from, click File, and then click Print.

The Print window opens.

2. Open the Properties dialog box.

Depending on the software program, the button might be Properties, Options, Printer Setup, Printer, or Preferences.

3. Depending on your print job, you might consider modifying the following settings:

• Paper Type: If you are printing on photo paper, select the type of photo paper you are attempting to print on.

• Print Quality: If you are dissatisfied with the quality of your printouts, increase the print quality. To print more quickly, decrease the print quality. These options typically include Best, Normal, and Draft modes.

• Paper Size: If you are printing on a different size of paper than you normally print on, select the correct paper size.

• Black and White: If you want to print in black and white only, select the grayscale option.

4. After selecting the print settings, click OK to apply the settings, and then click Print.

Print a diagnostic report.

Clean the ink cartridges.

Manually clean the area around the ink nozzles.

Click here and refer the document to perform the above steps.

Let me know if that works.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.