Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi Jay,

This is NOT solved....

I have the same problem with my HP8600 officejet.

Tried all the steps you are recommending here, including first updating the firmware, and installed the latest driver (MacOS set to 11.0 Big Sur) using hp easy start, as is necessary when using the driver update link on the hp website.

Still the same message: printer waiting to become available...

HELP please?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@OlivierBB, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Let us first check the connectivity between the printer and the MAC

• Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.
  • Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.
  • Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.
  • The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold the option key on your keyboard and click the WiFi icon to get detailed information.

Perform a ping test to check the connectivity

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer
  2. On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box
  3. Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings
  4. Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost
  5. Note: There should be 0% packet loss, share the results in your next post.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Kumar0307 

Thank you for your reaction.

No, this does not help at all.

My printer is connected through  a USB cable, no WiFi involved at all.

It is HP 8600 officejet.

Scanning (by using Apple's Preview) still work fine.

Printing is impossible, the same message keeps popping up "waiting to become available"

PLEASE: help!

HP Recommended

I have the same issue too. 

A USB connection, Deskjet 1510. connected to Mac

Reloaded the drivers after Oct 27th. 

Worked for a while and then stopped

Reloaded again yesterday and today using instructions from HP.

Plugged/unplugged/repowered etc etc.

Scanning works 

Ready to bin it - I don't have time for this!!

HP Recommended

@OlivierBB, @tearing-my-hair

If you are using a USB cable, make sure the cable is directly connected between the MAC and the printer.

The use of a USB hub is not recommended. Also, make sure the cable is connected to a USB 2.0 port on your MAC. Try connecting it to a different port and check if it is detected.

Do you have an Anti-virus/firewall installed on the MAC?

You may check this in System Information > Applications.

If yes, disable the same and then try printing to check if that helps.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your MAC.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on MAC

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

• Check if the printer is getting recognized by your MAC:
  1. From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.
  2. Click System Report.
  3. Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Kumar,

1) Scanning works, printing does not. So the USB cable cannot be the problem.

2) I have a MacBook Pro 2017, as you know; these only have USB-C outlets. I am using a Satechi USB hub and have done so for 3 years now, with the HP 8600 connected through that, that was never a problem. And, as stated already, scanning works fine. So the hub is not the problem.

3) Yes, I have the normal Apple firewall enabled, as always in the past three years. And no, I will never disable that, too dangerous. And again: the HP8600 always worked fine in the past with the same firewall enabled. And again, scanning works fine. So that is not the problem either.

4) The printer firmware is version CLP1CN2011AR, downloaded and installed just last week. Not the problem either.

5) the Macbook MacOS version is 11.0.1, and yes, updated just last week. Not the problem either.

6) I checked the system information window as you suggested, and yes, the printer is named under the USB 2.0 hub; its serial number is there as well. Not the problem either.

In addition: I have started the HP utility app, clicked printer information, ands asked for an configuration print, That does print correctly.

However: printing from any other application on the Mac gets the print into the HP queue, followed by the 'waiting for printer to become available' message. NO PRINTING still.

And yes also, the only way to get a print is to restart the Mac, which results in the print being sent to the printer and printed correctly, even before the Mac has started up completely.

Guess what? Even after that, no printing from any app whatsoever, still the same 'waiting for printer to become available'  message.

And no, I do not want to have to start up the mac each time when I want a print....

HELP please?

HP Recommended

@OlivierBB

Thank you for the detailed response. I see that you have already tried all the possible steps. I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@kumar0307

Dear Kumar,

Your link does not work: there is no HP support team available at all.

All I get to see then are a chat agent and forum links, and they provide no answers, I tried that.

I need HELP - Please, do something that actually helps?

How about a phone  number that I can call?

Or an email address that works?

HP Recommended

@OlivierBB

If your printer is out of warranty, you may not get an option to call the HP Support team. I have sent you a private message with the information to contact the support team. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.