Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a MFP M281 I purchased in the UK but now am using in the US.  I think I need to change the region because I am getting incompatible cartridge errors even though I purchased my cartridges from HP and they should be compatible.

Can anyone tell me how to do that reset/reinitialization?

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@XrayMan473

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that you are getting ink cartridges error, you do not have to perform a region reset on the printer.

Follow these steps to fix the issue.

Clean the electric contacts on the toner cartridge

The toner cartridge might have a faulty connection to the printer. Use a lint-free cloth to clean the toner cartridge contact (E-label).

1. Open the toner cartridge access door.

2. Remove the toner cartridge from its slot.

3. Use a lint-free cloth to wipe the toner cartridge contact (E-label) on the top left of the toner cartridge.

note:

Coffee filters work well.

Figure : E-label on a toner cartridge

Toner cartridge contact (E-label)
  4. Insert the toner cartridge into its slot, and then close the toner cartridge access door.

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

3. Wait 60 seconds.

4. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

Refer to this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, @sandytechy20.

I tried both of your suggestions, but the toner cartridge was not accepted.

FYI, I purchased my printer in the UK, but am now living in the US.  The printer "Device Configuration" information is as follows:

Product Name: HP Color LaserJet MFP M281fdw

Formatter Number: 5L704KZ

Serial Number: [Personal Information Removed]

Cartridge Index: DNMP KJCH

Service ID: 10067

Firmware Datecode: 20201021

Control Panel Version: 0x07

Disable Fax: No

Telecom Version: 05-031-001

Please advise.

Kind regards,

Xrayman473

HP Recommended

@XrayMan473

This might require one on one interaction to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, @Sandytechy20.

After following your directions, I get to step 4 and there is no "show options" option.  

Is there a phone number I can call?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@XrayMan473

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, @Sandytechy20.

I appreciate your help and will look for your message.

FYI, I called the HP Sales number and requested tech support that way yesterday.  After about an hour on the phone, we discovered that performing a "reinitialization" (I don't remember the exact term) would allow me to select a different country - BUT the list did not include the US, or even Canada.   I can use my HP printer in the UK, in Russia, Egypt, Iceland, Germany, or Turkey, but not in the US.  I can't fathom the rationale behind that business decision.

My options are apparently buy a new printer or to buy toner cartridges from the UK, neither of which is an appealing option, particularly given that I wanted to buy a printer that would last many years.

If there is a third option, I would be interested in hearing it.  I suggest HP pay to ship this printer to a non-profit in the UK,  provide me with the American version, and label their products clearly.

Thanks,

Xrayman473

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.