Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610

My printer stopped working after I installed brand new ink cartridges. I got a print head failure error message on the display screen of my HP Officejet Pro 8610. I tried all of the prompts to fix the problem and sought help from the virtual agent as well as a live person. Nothing worked so I bought a new HP Color Laser printer, rather than try to repair the old one. Now I want to recycle the old printer, but I can't return to the home screen to change any settings. I am concerned about disposing of it without removing the documents that I have printed over the years. The instructions said that I should return the printer to the factory default setting before throwing it away or recycling it. My problem is that the screen is stuck on the message that said there was a printer head failure. How can I return the printer to the factory default setting if I can't use the display screen? Is there a way to clear the memory without using the display screen?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@NEA3, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

The printer does not have a memory to store any user data. It could only store the fax contacts if you have stored them in the printer. Apart from this, there is nothing on the printer that would breach your security. Now, as the printer is stuck at the error, you cannot reset the printer to its factory defaults. You just have to recycle it.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.