Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 2132 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I just bought an HP DeskJet 2132 All-in-One Printer.  What are the suggested tasks I need to carry out, and on what schedule, in order to maintain this printer as long as possible?  Specifically, I purchased this printer because the printheads in my old printer dried out and clogged.  I would very much like to avoid the same fate with this printer.  I am happy printing out a diagnostic page on a set schedule--but what should that schedule be:  once a month?  once a week?

The printer will not get much regular use.  I use it at home, and live by myself 😞  It will probably be used for less than one page a week.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@cag8f

Thanks for responding,

You could go with printing diagnostic page since it consumes lesser ink than cleaning cartridge. 

Cheers 🙂

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@cag8f

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand, you're in need of support, 

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you 🙂

The printer will not perform maintenance by itself, I would suggest you perform maintenance manually (Once in 4 days). 

If you're not using ink printer for a long time, you could store them as mentioned in the article: https://hp.care/2MtYpjA

Hope this helps,

Keep me posted 🙂

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

>>  I would suggest you perform maintenance manually (Once in 4 days). 

OK thanks.  But part of my question is ascertaining what that maintenance should be.  Should I print the diagnostic page every four days?  Or simply recycle the power?  or something else?  I would of course prefer a solution that used as little ink as possible.

>> If you're not using ink printer for a long time, you could store them as mentioned in the article: https://hp.care/2MtYpjA

This probably does not apply to me.  I will be using the scanner, probably every week.  And I'll probably use the printer once or twice a month.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@cag8f

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

You could print a diagnostic page once in 4 days or you can perform one of these cleanings: 

Clean the ink cartridges

Clean the ink cartridges in Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista.

1. Load U.S. Letter or A4 size, unused, plain paper into the input tray.

2. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it not already on.

3. Open or search for the HP folder in your list of installed software programs, click the folder for your printer, and then click the name of your printer.

The HP Printer Assistant software opens.

4. On the HP Printer Assistant window, click Maintain Your Printer.

5. Click the Device Services tab, and then click Clean Ink Cartridges ().

6. Once the cleaning cycle completes, click Print.

A test page prints.

Figure: Example of a test page without defects

Image: Example of a test page without defects
  7. Examine the test page.

Manually clean the area around the ink nozzles

Do not perform these steps unless the test page or printout specifically shows smeared text or track marks. Clean the area around the ink nozzles if you see track marks or smears on the printouts.

Figure: Example of smeared text

Image: Example of smeared text

Figure: Example of text with track marks

Image: Example of text with track marks

1. Gather the following materials:

• Dry foam-rubber swabs, lint-free cloth, or any soft material that does not come apart or leave fibers (coffee filters work well)

• Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might contain contaminants that can damage the ink cartridges)

CAUTION: Do not use platen cleaners or alcohol to clean the ink cartridge contacts. These can damage the ink cartridge or the printer.

2. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

3. Lower the output tray, reach inside the printer, and then grasp the handle and lower the ink cartridge access door to open it.

The carriage moves to the center of the printer.

Figure: Open the ink cartridge access door

Image: Open the ink cartridge access door.
  4. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

5. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

WARNING: You must disconnect the power cord before reaching inside the printer to avoid risk of injuries or electric shock.

6. Lightly press down on one of the ink cartridges to release it, and then pull the ink cartridge toward you out of its slot.

Figure: Press down to remove the ink cartridge

Image: Press down to remove the ink cartridge

CAUTION: Do not remove both ink cartridges at the same time. Remove and clean each ink cartridge one at a time. Do not leave an ink cartridge outside the printer for more than 30 minutes.

7. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.

Figure: Hold the ink cartridge by its sides

Image: Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.
  8. Inspect the ink cartridge contacts for ink and debris buildup. CAUTION: Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

Figure: Do not touch the contacts or nozzles

Image: Do not touch the contacts or nozzles.
  9. Lightly moisten a foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.

10. Clean the face and edges around the ink nozzle with the swab.

CAUTION: Do not clean the ink nozzle plate.

Figure: Clean the area around the ink nozzle

1. Nozzle plate - Do not clean

2. Area surrounding ink nozzle - Do clean

3. Ink cartridge contacts - Do not clean

11. Either let the ink cartridge sit for 10 minutes to allow the cleaned area to dry, or use a new swab to dry it.

12. Slide each ink cartridge at a slight upward angle into the empty slot, and then gently push up on each ink cartridge until it locks into place.

Figure: Push the ink cartridge into its slot

Image: Push the ink cartridge into its slot until it locks into place.
  13. Repeat these steps to clean around the nozzles on the other ink cartridge.

14. Close the ink cartridge access door.

15. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

Hope this answers your query 🙂

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us. 

Keep me posted,

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  Of the two methods:  "print a diagnostic page" or "Clean the ink cartridges," which uses less color ink?

HP Recommended

@cag8f

Thanks for responding,

You could go with printing diagnostic page since it consumes lesser ink than cleaning cartridge. 

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

Great thanks.  Two more questions:

1.  What about cycling the power off, then on--would that also do the trick?  Woudl I also have to do this every four days?  And how much ink does this use compared to the other two methods?

2.  Is there any other routine cleaning/maintenance I should be aware of with this unit to keep it running as long as possible?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@cag8f

Thank you for replying 😉

Power cycling does not involve ink maintenance, therefore suggest you go with printing diagnostic page.

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

OK thanks.  But aside from these printouts to exercise the print heads, is there any other routine maintenance that I can/should do to extend the life of my printer?

HP Recommended

@cag8f

Only two options are available for maintaining ink cartridges 

• Printing diagnostic page 
  • Cleaning ink cartridges 

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.