Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
M479fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Similar to the other thread on which I posted earlier in the year: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Does-laserjet-stop-printing-even-if-one-of-the-3-col..., my M479fdw is once again experiencing the same issue with the replacement Cyan cartridge I was sent back in February.

The printer had been working fine since installing the replacement Cyan cartridge through yesterday.  The printer has not been moved, had any cartridges changed, nor have we experienced any recent power issues.  However, today the printer is once again rendered inoperable, reporting error 10.01.11, claiming a lack of communication with the Cyan cartridge.

I have removed and reinstalled the Cyan cartridge, removed and reinstalled all cartridges, powered the printer off and on multiple times, plus unplugged it from the wall and plugged it back in again.  I found that there is a newer firmware version released on April 30, 2020 (though it does not call out this issue in its fixes), but because of the cartridge memory error, the printer is stuck in a "busy" state and will not allow me to install the newer firmware while the error is present.

I rarely print in color.  According to the printer, I've only printed 138 color pages since purchasing the unit last year.  Since I was only at 103 total color pages the last time this error happened in January, this means I have only printed 35 color pages in the last 6 months since receiving the new cartridge.  (I have printed 987 total pages with the black toner cartridge.)  

I find it incredibly frustrating that the printer will not allow monochrome prints in black, if one of the other color cartridges is empty or missing.  HP - please issue a firmware update to rectify that behavior in all of your printers.

This recurring issue is unacceptable for what is supposed to be a flagship SOHO printer.  Any other ideas on how to resolve this issue and ensure it does not happen again, or do we assume the entire unit is defective and needs replacement?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you everyone.  Bottom line, the printer was defective and HP thankfully helped me replace the unit. 

The cartridge that the original unit refused to recognize has been working just fine in the replacement printer.  I swapped the cartridges back and forth to check whether the problem stayed with the original unit or followed the cartridge.  Since the problem stayed with the original printer, I'm crossing my fingers that this issue will not return and the replacement continues to work as advertised for years to come.  

Hopefully, HP can soon figure out a solve for you, Tony773, and the others with similar issues.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

If you have missing toner cartridge the printer will stop if you have an error with toner cartridge ( supply error 10.xx.xx) the printer will stop.

If you have an empty toner cartridge you can override that and the printer will continue to print, the user will be informed that print quality can go low.

The toner cartridges are like tyres on a car if you have the empty tyre you can drive slowly some distance but if you have 3 tyres on a car one missing you can't drive.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Hello TonkaTruck73,

I have been having the same issue, but with a different printer M454DW. I note that your printer, 479, and my 454 use the same toner cartridges, the 415A series, so maybe these machines use the same print engine. I also get the 10.01.11 and 10.02.11 error reports for the cyan and magenta cartridges. 

My problems started in February 2020. initially I replaced the cyan toner. Then HP decided the machine was at fault, and replaced it. The fault has reappeared on the new machine and like you my usage is low (<2000 pages on two machines in 6 months). 

I now have 5 faulty cartridges that the printer can't read. Obviously replacing cartridges at this rate quickly becomes costly.

My latest and ongoing conversations with HP tell me that there "seems to be an emerging issue in this series of printers" (6th August). I am waiting for a solution or at least an indication of a use case that causes the problem. Meanwhile I do not want to risk corrupting another set of cartridges, so have stopped using the printer - which is getting awkward.

Your problem maybe unrelated - but it seems similar.

Tony

HP Recommended

I checked service documentation that I have access to and find no relevant documents that show this is a noted or reoccurring problem to this point but cannot rule out it may be too early in the process for them to have notified vendor partners. It is possible that you may have been the unlucky recipient of a couple of bad cartridges and I would suggest that you are going to have to contact technical support and get them to ship another cartridge. That it worked initially suggests a cartridge issue and not a hardware issue with the printer such as  a bad chip reader. It is a royal pain but HP typically ships replacements very quickly.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you everyone.  Bottom line, the printer was defective and HP thankfully helped me replace the unit. 

The cartridge that the original unit refused to recognize has been working just fine in the replacement printer.  I swapped the cartridges back and forth to check whether the problem stayed with the original unit or followed the cartridge.  Since the problem stayed with the original printer, I'm crossing my fingers that this issue will not return and the replacement continues to work as advertised for years to come.  

Hopefully, HP can soon figure out a solve for you, Tony773, and the others with similar issues.

HP Recommended

How did you get on with your second printer? HP sent me a refurbished  printer and the very next day it had the same issue! To say I'm frustrated is an understatement and the fact these guys in HP dont even wana help, I wana scream!

HP Recommended

For what its worth my M454 printer was replaced with another M454 after repeated issues with the cartridge. This failed after a month. HP have recently replaced that second printer with a M479 which I am told had a fault which is now fixed.  Anyway after 6 of 10 cartridges failed with the two M454 printers, over a 6 month period, I am hopeful I now have a long term solution with the M479. Time will tell.

HP Recommended

I have been having the exact same problem with my M479fdw. First it was cyan then magenta after I replace the cyan cartridge. "the indicated supplies are not communicating correctly with the printer." I have talked to HP several times with very little satisfaction. They have not been very helpful since the issue started about 4 weeks after the 1-yr warranty. One HP rep did say that they are aware of the problem and are working on it. Suggested checking back every 4 weeks or so to see if they have a software fix yet. Very difficult to get through. Based on my experience I think it is definitely a printer issue, not a cartridge issue. Disappointing that HP will not stand behind their products!!

HP Recommended

I have gotten 2 replacements printers for this issue and both of them have now exhibited the same issue. Hopefully yours will continue to work. I have to call them again to try and get this rectified. I am not sure what is going to happen when my warranty runs out in three months.

HP Recommended

I made the same experience (s. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/HP-LJ-Pro-MFP-479dw-event-c...). The problem occured in the printer that I originally bought in March. HP replaced printers twice. With the last printer, HP even exchanged a controller board, but the problem resurfaces after about 4 weeks and roughlly 200 printed pages in that period. It only occured with the cyan cartridge with me (so far...). HP is supportive, but they just haven't solved the problem. In addition, intervals increase until a replacement is made available. The last time, we didn't have a printer available for weeks (badly needed due to Covid-19 home office situation)...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.