Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Tony773 - This sounds like a good theory but mine all died after powering on after a automatic power off from the system based on time. Then again they were probably in sleep mode at the time the power off limit was reached. I would hope the printer would be smart enough to stop all communication with the cartridges when powering down but who know. HP sure is silent on this.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem I have 2) M479fdw and today the Cyan and Magenta cartridges stopped communicating, but are full.  I swapped the cartridges between the 2 printers and the problem moved with the cartridges. So I'm curious if the first printer killed the cartridges or they both failed at the same time.   at ~$250 per cartridge, this is a huge problem

HP Recommended

How did you get them to give you a replacement unit.

I've had this cyan can't communicate error twice in the past two months and all they'll do is send me a new cartridge.   Of course that leaves me having to drive to FedEx-Kinko to do my printing since I'm not going to buy $200+ cartridges that give out every 200 pages.

Can you share the magic words you used to get the replacement unit?   Did you call or go through chat or contact them in some other way?

HP Recommended

Tell the customer service rep you want to speak to their manager & escalate the case. Unfortunately after almost a month with no printer and little to no help resolving the issue with the multiple customer service reps i spoke to in the end i had to pull a mini Karen and insist i speak to the manager. Please note, my printer was less than 3 months old at the time, so i was well within the warranty period and within my rights to request a new product. After they offered to send ink again i honestly lost my **bleep**. New ink wouldn't fix the issue long term. It was clear it was a malfunction with the cartridge chip reader inside the printer not the chips on the cartridge being defective. 

HP Recommended

Well, surprise of surprises, my newly replace CYAN cartridge has failed to communicate again. I have called HP and they are now sending out a repairman to replace the board and cartridge. I sure that will fix it.

Just can't wait till my warranty runs out.

HP Recommended

Well the repairman, rather than come out and replace a board, called HP and had them send out my third replacement printer and a full set of four replacement cartridges. They arrived and so far the printer is working but I am not holding out much hope. Keeping my fingers crossed.

HP Recommended

Well, well, well. And i was wondering how is possible that i have so much trouble with my M479fdw. It all comes together now.

Funny thing is that printer had failed multiple times just after purchase, then i got a replacement which worked like a champ for about a year, and three weeks after warranty it went nuts (toner issues included).

And i was about to contact a local after-warranty service for repair. Now i understand it'll be just a waste of money. Too bad i've just purchased full toner combo, hopping it was the issue (not to mention that right after i replace the cartridges Wifi failed and when i tried to re-run Wireless configuration, i got a "bluescreen")

HP Recommended

What a surprise. My replacement printer and cartridges has again crapped out after 2 months with the cannot communicate with the Cyan cartridge error. Now my warranty is out but I have a contact that assured me that since this was an ongoing issue they would support me. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

HP Recommended

After three refurbished replacements they are now sending me a new printer. Hopefully this one does not fail as the last four did. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.