Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 9010 series inkjet printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am attempting to set up "scan to network folder" on an HP 9018 inkjet printer (the 9018 is the Costco packaging of the 9010 series printer).  However, actual scan tests, or using the "test" link in the web admin interface fro testing the set up, all return the error:

Incorrect credentials. Check your username/password and try again.

I have seen a lot of chatter about this on the forums, but I have not found any solutions that actually work.  Here's what we've done so far:

• We have created a dedicated share folder for this purpose (two actually, just to test fresh, but both behave identically)
  • The folder has been shared to "everyone" with unlimited rights.
  • In the folder properties, share to everyone with full rights has been confirmed.
  • The properties "advanced sharing" has also been confirmed to share to everyone with full rights.
  • Finally in properties, the security profile also has been confirmed to share to everyone with full rights.
  • The workstation has no Windows credentials set at all.
  • The printer's configuration is set to use no credentials on the folder.
  • This configuration (with even more restrictions) works spectacularly with Epson printers (which we are replacing with the 9010), so we know it's not the workstation.
  • Windows Defender is the firewall, but that makes no sense for interference -- plus, everything looks good (though it's difficult to be 100% certain), but folder sharing works everywhere else it's been configured, so...
  • Windows 10 64-bit OS, HP workstation.  Home configured work group, so no internal domain.

And yet -- we can't scan to folder and it barks about invalid credentials.

If this is a long-standing flaw with the HP line of printers (as some seem to suggest), then we will need to return this printer and find another brand to use.  However, scan to network folder is a basic concept, so we're also looking for the magic bullet that has eluded us and google for a while now.

Looking for advice and input.

Please note -- these questions are exclusively about scan to network folder.  Scan to email works as expected (eventually).

Thanks in advance for any expert advice and/or experience working with same issues..!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Skjaeret, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand your concern and appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue. While I look into the issue, I'd suggest you use the smart tasks feature through the HP Smart App.

Refer to the document HP Printers - HP Smart: Use Smart Tasks. for help.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, but no. Smart Tasks does not help. We may have used it to do the initial basic configuration of the printer, the tool is only basic set ups and does not get into the details necessary to do any real kind of network work. In fact, it does not have methods to configure local share folders (though it does let you connect to external services such as Dropbox and Google Drive). 

The issue remains that the local folder has no credentials, the configuration within the printer directly is set for no credentials and the connection fails on... wrong/bad credentials. 

This is not possible unless there is a flaw somewhere.  Either in the printer’s firmware or an as of yet undetermined error in the folder configuration. 

HP Recommended

@Skjaeret

Thanks for waiting!

Here is how you set up Scan to Network Folder in Windows 10 with HP Smart.

1-set up a new separate Windows 10 user profile with a password that is JUST used for scanning.

Go to,

Settings

Accounts

Family and Other Users

Under Other Uses, Add someone else to this PC

Click "I don't have this person's sign-in information"

Click "Add a user without a Microsoft Account"

Give it a user name (helps to include the word Scan in it so that you will remember that it's only for scanning)

Give it a password

Put something in for security questions and answers

Click Next

You have now added a user for scanning.

2-Make a folder where you want to save your scans on the same computer you just added the user

3-share the folder

Go to the folder

Right-click on it and select properties

Click on the Sharing tab

3a-Click on Advanced Sharing

Check the box that says "Share this folder"

Click ok

3b-Now, go to Share (still on the Sharing tab)

On the drop-down menu, select the special scanning user you just added, and click Add.

Change permission level to "Read/Write"

Click Share at the bottom of the window.

3c-Still on the Sharing tab, write down (or copy) the Network Path (should be something like \\computername\foldername

4-Set up network sharing in HP Smart

Open HP Smart

Click Printer Setting box

Click Advanced Settings on the left

Click Scan at the top

Click the + sign next to Scan to Network Folder on the left

Click Network Folder Setup on the left

In the Network Folder Setup area in the center, click the person with a + icon (for New)

Under Network Folder Setup Step 1:,

Enter a name for this folder (it will appear on your printer)

Paste/Enter the network path from 3c above into Network Path

Click Next

Under Step 2,

Select "Always use the following credentials"

Enter the User Name and Password you just set up specifically for scanning.

Security PIN -clear the entries if you don't want to use a pin

Click Next

Enter scan settings or leave defaults

Click Save and Test

Voila-this should do it. You should see this folder on your printer when you select scan to network computer.

If the printer cannot access the shared folder, try the following:

• Verify that each field is filled incorrectly.

• Verify that the printer is connected to the network.

• Verify that the remote computer is switched on, working normally, and connected to the network.

• Verify that the folder is shared.

• Verify that files can be put into the same folder from a different computer on the network using the printer’s logon credentials.

A correctly configured shared folder can become inaccessible if the user’s password is changed or if the shared folder is moved or deleted.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.