Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
G510n

Each time when the printer is swithed ON and proceeds the Switch On test the carriage of the scanner's lamp chatters loudly for about  1 minute,  then stops chattering and printer operates OK. Had dissassembled the scanner, no mechanical problems detected. How to avoid the chattering? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @EWass, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand when you turn on the printer the scanner makes a loud noise for a minute and stops.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Please share the complete printer model and operating system you running on your PC to assist you better.

Try the steps recommended below.

To resolve the issue, reset the printer.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on. 

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

   note:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move. 

9. Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

If the issue still persists update the printer firmware and check if it helps.

Update the printer firmware using this link. Click Here

Let me know if this works!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello MrRobot!
Highly appreciate your help! Sorry for the delay in reply - i hadn't internet for a couple of days due poor customer management by the Provider, not typical for a StartUp country...
I did both activities you recommended : printer resetting and firmware update-unfortunately hadn't  positive effect . I believe that i missed important failure details in my original post - the lamp's carriage chatters only during the warmup (selftest ? ) period . And this occurs only when the lamp is hidden under the R.H. margin of the scanner's  glass, i.e.  striking the stopper at 3-4 strikes per second.
Thank you. 

HP Recommended

@EWass

I see that you were interacting with @MrRobot. I'd like to help.

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I am sending you a private message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.