Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Instant ink has sent me a 65/304 tri color in the smaller size cartridge  and my printer uses the 63/302 cartridge. They have sent me the 63XL size once before, around a year ago, which worked fine.  So I, not knowing, installed the 65 cartridge even though it was the smaller capacity thinking that instant ink must think i don't use enough ink to justify the XL size. Both the cartridges look identical with the same pin contacts and print head area so I didn't question it until I did some quick research.

The printer has not given any error mssg and it seems to be working ok but will I have issues later on? From what I've found online they are not the same ink and are not interchangeable. I can not get any info from HP regarding this and who to contact about the wrong cartridges.  Thx for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JImG8150

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Instant Ink server sends you the compatible ink cartridges only. You need not worry. The size of the ink cartridge does not matter as if the ink is low, you will be sent a replacement ink cartridge before it runs out. 

If the ink cartridge is incompatible, you will get an error about the same and you will not be able to print using that ink cartridge.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @JImG8150

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Instant Ink server sends you the compatible ink cartridges only. You need not worry. The size of the ink cartridge does not matter as if the ink is low, you will be sent a replacement ink cartridge before it runs out. 

If the ink cartridge is incompatible, you will get an error about the same and you will not be able to print using that ink cartridge.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thx Kumar0307 for the info. I think you are right the envy 4520 printer is still printing fine and no error mssg's,  

HP Recommended

@JImG8150

Keep us posted for any other assistance. Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.