Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart C4780
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Replaced both the black and color cartridges in our reliable inkjet printer and started getting shadows on some prints, mostly PDF's.  I found similar issues online and went through all that I could find - clean, align, power down, update drivers, uninstall, etc. without success.  This morning, on a whim, I decided to put in our prior black 60XL cartridge, and while it was a bit faint, the shadows were gone.  I was told I cannot return it since it was purchased over 30 days ago even though I just installed it in our printer.  

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@MT_19

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team regarding this as they can help you with a replacement.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi - Thank you for your reply.  I've tried three different HP computers and laptops, done more uninstalls and reinstalls, and I still get the shadow mostly on PDF documents and using two viewers.  Oddly, when I printed the test page in blue and black, the copy was as crisp as the day I opened the box.  I have been unable to load the app to continue with your last recommendation.  I purchased a second black HP60 cartridge without success.  I've tried both color cartridges that came in the box without success.  Is there any possibility that both color cartridges from the same box are the problem?  This only started when I replaced both the black XL and one standard color cartridge at the same time, and I've done multiple alignments and cleanings.  Really, really odd.  I have it in gray-scale only now, and the prints are crisp.  Do you think we have a suspect batch of color cartridges?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.