Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The shortcut that used to appear on my puter screen has gone away somewhere.

How do you retrieve it? The photos icon is still there.

Thank you!!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Jonlits,

I'd like to help!

What kind of shortcut?

Below are the features of your control panel.

Control panel display menu

Touch the control panel display to select print, fax, copy, and scan options from the main menu. Swipe your finger across the display to scroll through the menus.

Figure : Example of the control panel display menus

Image: Example of the control panel display menus

The following list describes the functionality of each option:

1.  Copy: The option opens the Copy menu to select a copy type or change the copy settings.

2.  Scan: The option opens the Scan To menu to select a destination for your scan.

3.  Fax: The option opens a screen to send a fax or change fax settings.

4.  HP Printables: The option provides a quick way to access and print information from the web such as coupons, coloring pages, puzzles, and more.

5.  Quick Forms: The option opens the Quick Forms menu where you can select a form to print.

6.  Setup: The option opens the Setup menu to change preferences and use tools to perform maintenance tasks.

7.  Help: The option opens the Help menu to view how-to videos, printer feature information, and tips.

8.  HP ePrint icon: The option opens the Web Services Summary menu to check ePrint status details, change ePrint settings, or print a Web Services Information page.

9.  Wireless Direct icon: The option opens the Wireless Direct Summary menu to turn on or off HP wireless direct printing and display the wireless direct name and password.

10.  Wireless icon: The Wireless icon opens the Wireless Summary menu to check wireless status and change wireless settings. You can print a wireless test report to help diagnose network connection issues. If there is no network connection, the Wireless icon displays by default.

11.  Ink icon: The option shows estimated ink levels by ink cartridge. The icon displays a warning symbol if the ink level is less than the minimum expected ink level.

12.  Fax status icon: The option opens status information for the Auto Answer function, fax logs, and the fax sound volume.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thank you Jay, I'm talking about the shortcut that used to appear on the screen on my computer.

HP Recommended

The printer assistant icon, if you have the drivers installed already then follow the below instarutcions

Create Shortcut

• Open a File Explorer / Windows Explorer Window

• Navigate to C:\Program Files\HP

NOTE: Printer Software might instead be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\HP

• Select and open the folder named for your printer

• Navigate to sub-folder Bin

• Look for the executable named for your printer

Example Printer Executable: HP OfficeJet 3830.exe

NOTE: The executable / program will NOT be named Printer Assistant

• Right-Click on the executable > select Send to Desktop

Hope this helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.