Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
ojp 8720

Why does my printer keep going "offline" when it isn't. I am sitting right here. It's on and connected. Nothing has moved or changed. I could print a half an hour ago and now it's offline. How to I force it to be online and print? Using the doctor is stupid because it dumps all the doc in the que and I have to start over.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@xjonx 

The underlying cause might be the connection type.  You might want / need to switch to a TCP/IP connection.

What to do?  You may need to use a different version of the Doctor for this problem.

Any, yes, the Doctor will clear the queue - that's part of the cleanup process.  Rats.

Try this version of the Doctor to resolve odd connection errors...

Offline Doctor V5.0.6

HPPSdr_5.0.6.exe

• Download and Save the doctor to your computer
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to the folder in which you saved the file (likely Downloads)
  • Execute the doctor – Answer any prompts /  let the process complete
  • Restart the computer, log in, and wait for the final steps in the Doctor to finish.
  • Check for any difference.

NOTES – Contributed by ShlomiL

Paraphrased

Connection Issues

• Print and Scan Doctor Version 5.0.6 creates a secondary queue for printing with TCP/IP port.

Check

If necessary, Adjust the “Default” printing device (Default Printer)

Open Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Right-Click on the printer NOT marked as “Scan Only / DO NOT DELETE”

Set printer as Default

Example – Printers listed in Devices and Printers

Set “Default” Printer = HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 series PCL-3

NOT Default = Scan Only -HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 series PCL-3 (Network)-DO NOT DELETE

==============================================================================

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

BUMP!  Why must I run the print doctor every time I want to print? It tries to print then says "offline". WHY? How do I stop this behavior?

HP Recommended

@xjonx 

The underlying cause might be the connection type.  You might want / need to switch to a TCP/IP connection.

What to do?  You may need to use a different version of the Doctor for this problem.

Any, yes, the Doctor will clear the queue - that's part of the cleanup process.  Rats.

Try this version of the Doctor to resolve odd connection errors...

Offline Doctor V5.0.6

HPPSdr_5.0.6.exe

• Download and Save the doctor to your computer
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to the folder in which you saved the file (likely Downloads)
  • Execute the doctor – Answer any prompts /  let the process complete
  • Restart the computer, log in, and wait for the final steps in the Doctor to finish.
  • Check for any difference.

NOTES – Contributed by ShlomiL

Paraphrased

Connection Issues

• Print and Scan Doctor Version 5.0.6 creates a secondary queue for printing with TCP/IP port.

Check

If necessary, Adjust the “Default” printing device (Default Printer)

Open Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Right-Click on the printer NOT marked as “Scan Only / DO NOT DELETE”

Set printer as Default

Example – Printers listed in Devices and Printers

Set “Default” Printer = HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 series PCL-3

NOT Default = Scan Only -HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 series PCL-3 (Network)-DO NOT DELETE

==============================================================================

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I am using the network connection. Is that enough or do I need a IP driver or something. There are other computers connected to the printer via a network cable and they are not having problems. It didn't happen before but I have no idea if anything has changed since then. I know that I have done nothing between the times it prints and doesn't print.

HP Recommended

@xjonx 

@xjonx wrote:

I am using the network connection. Is that enough or do I need a IP driver or something. There are other computers connected to the printer via a network cable and they are not having problems. It didn't happen before but I have no idea if anything has changed since then. I know that I have done nothing between the times it prints and doesn't print.

Did you run the Offline Doctor (version 5.0.6)?

Your response does not make it clear what you have done.  ?

What are the results?

The is no IP "driver".

In most cases, the doctor does take care of the TCP/IP connection.

IF you did run the Doctor 5.0.6 

If that did not fix the problem,

If you are running the Full Feature Software,

There is reason to believe the software might need to be removed and reinstalled.

Full Feature Software

HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Print and Scan Driver and Accessories

How-to Video contributed by Expert @greenturtle 

There are a bunch of ads in front the of actual "how to" sequence - a cost of doing business with YouTube - you can tolerate the ads or click "Skip Ad".  The informational bits start when you see "Technology Tips" on the video screen.

HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer series

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I took the advice and installed the newer version. The problem seems to have been fixed by that.

I am just confused as to why all the other HP update software that is on this computer failed to pick that up the one time it would have been useful or why the old print doctor didn't suggest the update.

VERY FRUSTRATING.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.