Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated

HP Recommended

Brilliant, solved the issue

thank you

HP Recommended

Thank you Dragon-Fur for providing circumventions to the HP Solution Center Software. Once alternative solution(s) is(are) installed, can HP Solution Center be uninstalled using the Add/Remove Programs from Windows Settings (app)? Thanks again

HP Recommended

Thank you, Dragon Fur for explaining the cause of HP Solution Centre's abrupt demise and for offering several work arounds.

I have an HP Photosmart 3310 All-in-One and used the Solution Centre primarily to drive the scanner. I could not locate HPScan.exe, so I downloaded HP Scan and Capture. So far so good.

I would also be interested to hear if I can now uninstall Solution Centre or am I still using parts of it?

Thank you, again

Mike (Bunter)

HP Recommended

@Bunter 

@Alexinhp 

You are welcome.

A long time ago, it was judged

Full Feature Software (before that, the Solution Center Software),  has to be installed for the HPSE to work.

I don't know if that early assumption is true.

I believe the only part that broke in the old Solution Center software is the GUI interface - the wrapper - that  part that opens the print / scan software main menu. 

The foundation of the Solution Center print software is perhaps still functional on your system - that is, the print software provides your Preferences (shortcuts) and settings that are used when you print from applications (Word, or for example). 

When used to print PDF using Adobe Reader DC , the "Preferences" are reached through "Properties"

Will Preferences open?

Test it.

Set the Preferences – Windows

NOTE:  This section is not applicable to Mobile Printing.

Printing Preferences are available directly from the driver and / or might be called "Printer Properties" / "Shortcuts" (or similar) from within printing software / applications.

Notes

• Generally, Ignore this section when not relevant – for example, when using Word > Mailings > Envelopes.
  • In the case of PDF / Image printing, Pre-set the Preferences (below) or set the Properties during the job setup.

That said, consider:

Regardless of what kind of printing you will do (later), make sure the Printing Preferences shortcut is set to "Everyday Printing" or something equally benign.  For example, don't leave the shortcut set to Booklet printing choices or other custom setups that are completely contrary to printing envelopes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

1. Select and adjust settings in each category for the Media (kind of paper), source (tray), and paper size.

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

Left-Click on (your) Printer > Manage > Printing Preferences

Next

Tab Printing Shortcuts > Click / Highlight your preferred shortcut > Click Apply > Click OK to exit

NOTE - Make changes to a Shortcut

• Select a shortcut and adjust the settings for paper, source (tray), other settings / Tabs
  • Scan Menu for HP Scan >>  If there is a More > section, check / adjust settings in the sub-sections > Click OK to save sub-menu changes
  • If supported, save the edited shortcut or use “Save As” or “Create Custom Shortcut” to save as a new / different file name
  • Click OK to save the setup

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Examples (Full Feature Software - Printing Preferences

Manage Print Output with Print Preview_PDF_1FManage Print Output with Print Preview_PDF_1F9025_Printing_Preferences_Photo_5x7_19025_Printing_Preferences_Photo_5x7_1Word_Test_3X5_card_Preferences_1Word_Test_3X5_card_Preferences_1

What else?

If the printer is on the network,

If the Embedded Web Server (EWS) is supported in your printer,

Open and use EWS to interact with your printer - view and configure various settings and tools (where available).

NOTE:  EWS is printer model and connection dependent.

Examples

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Tools > Printer Information

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Copy > Settings > Default SettingsCopy Defaults (wording can vary)

Adobe Reader DC – Needed Whether You Use It or Not

If you have not done so,

Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC /Optional  Foxit Reader)

HINT:  Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software

NOTE:  Adobe Reader DC software should be installed even if you do not normally open / view / print PDF files directly from the Adobe Reader DC software.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you again.

Printing seems to function OK eg from Word and from Outlook. I have also printed a pdf OK but I do not use Adobe. I read pdfs with my browser, Edge, and I create them from Word directly or using PDFCreator.

I won't uninstall Solution Centre. I have removed it from the desktop - it was a Shortcut - and the Task Bar. I never use the Start Screen. So, out of sight is out of mind.

TTFN

Mike aka Bunter

HP Recommended

Hello Dragon-Fur. I have tested all workarounds and I am able to use anyone you have mentioned.  However I couldn´t find the way to restore HP Scanjet G3010's Negative to File or Slide to File Scanning. While not very often, I use this great feature of the scanner. Any idea of a workaround to this problem? Thank you

HP Recommended

@Alexinhp 

@Alexinhp wrote:

Hello Dragon-Fur. I have tested all workarounds and I am able to use anyone you have mentioned.  However I couldn´t find the way to restore HP Scanjet G3010's Negative to File or Slide to File Scanning. While not very often, I use this great feature of the scanner. Any idea of a workaround to this problem? Thank you

Honestly, I don't know.

"ScanJet" is not the same as a printer that "also scans".

Regardless...

I know only what I have been able to glean from the user guides and documentation.

Unfortunately, the resulting pile of information is sometimes not very much.

The newer printers and scanjet units do not use any form of "Flash" to control the printer software.

You might - when ready - need to consider upgrading your hardware.

That is not a push to purchase HP - that is the reality of the situation as I see it.

Old tech eventually needs to be replaced.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you Dragon-Fur. As you mention, the G3010 is an old piece of hardware. That may be the reason why it still works as new. I have been able to circumvent Solution Center. It may help other users with the same problem. Simply, I pressed the Negative to File button in front of the scanner and voila..the lamp turned on and the "HP Scanniing" interface was launched. It seems this, -dll?- is not used by HP Scan Extended or HP Scan and Capture.

Thanks again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.