Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I'm a bit frustrated here. Hopefully, somebody has an easy fix for me. This problem just started a couple of weeks ago. Several times a week my prints come out looking streaked, almost as if water was poured onto the ink before it dried. When the issue arises, it typically affects the top of each page. Doing a power reset is the only fix I've found, but it is temporary and must be repeated approximately every 1-2 days. The messy prints are pdfs and word documents from my desktop. So, we can rule out scanning related troubleshooting.

I've cleaned everywhere that can be cleaned, including the printheads. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Jonathan482,

Good Day. Thanks for visiting the HP community. I reviewed the post regarding printing quality issues with your Mac. I will be delighted to assist you here. Commendable diagnosis, superb troubleshooting and splendid description of the issue before posting. Hats off to you on that score. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Does it copy correctly directly from the printer?
  • Did this happen after a recent power outage or surge?
  • Did you replace ink cartridges and check if it gets fixed?

For now please try these steps:

• Please make 2 copies in color directly from the printer without any communication from the computer.
  • If it copies correctly, then please perform a hard reset on the printer from this link: http://hp.care/2sGl7No and perform only step 1.
  • Please reset the Mac printing system from this link: http://hp.care/2gOrf2g  and then add the printer as an HP printer.

Steps to add the printer:

1.) Click the Apple menu icon, and then click System Preferences.

2.) Click Printers and Scanners, Print and Scan, or Print and Fax.

3.) In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button to delete it.

4.) Click the Add button.

5.) Find, and then select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

6.) Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select the name of your printer.

7.) Avoid the AirPrint driver. Once the correct HP driver is chosen, select Add to add the printer to the list.

8.) Try to print.

This should fix the issue regarding printing.

• For scanning issues please download the HP easy scan app and install it. It should help you with scanning also. This link: http://hp.care/2vu9ZRT  shows you how scan from a MAC using HP easy scan and Apple image capture. It has FAQs also.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Jonathan482,

Good Day. Thanks for visiting the HP community. I reviewed the post regarding printing quality issues with your Mac. I will be delighted to assist you here. Commendable diagnosis, superb troubleshooting and splendid description of the issue before posting. Hats off to you on that score. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Does it copy correctly directly from the printer?
  • Did this happen after a recent power outage or surge?
  • Did you replace ink cartridges and check if it gets fixed?

For now please try these steps:

• Please make 2 copies in color directly from the printer without any communication from the computer.
  • If it copies correctly, then please perform a hard reset on the printer from this link: http://hp.care/2sGl7No and perform only step 1.
  • Please reset the Mac printing system from this link: http://hp.care/2gOrf2g  and then add the printer as an HP printer.

Steps to add the printer:

1.) Click the Apple menu icon, and then click System Preferences.

2.) Click Printers and Scanners, Print and Scan, or Print and Fax.

3.) In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button to delete it.

4.) Click the Add button.

5.) Find, and then select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

6.) Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select the name of your printer.

7.) Avoid the AirPrint driver. Once the correct HP driver is chosen, select Add to add the printer to the list.

8.) Try to print.

This should fix the issue regarding printing.

• For scanning issues please download the HP easy scan app and install it. It should help you with scanning also. This link: http://hp.care/2vu9ZRT  shows you how scan from a MAC using HP easy scan and Apple image capture. It has FAQs also.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

David
Thanks for the detailed response.

1. My printer is wireless
2. I can't recall an outage or power surge
3. I have not replaced cartridges since I've begun experiencing problems. All four cartridges have plenty of ink.

If going to run through the steps you've suggested to see if this corrects the problem. If not, I will replace cartridges. I will post the outcome.

Again, many thanks for your detailed response!

HP Recommended

Hi @Jonathan482,

I reviewed the post completely. Thanks for the quick reply. I was on a long weekend and could not reply immediately. You've done great and it was amazing to work with you. Please try the steps and get back with the results. I hope the issue gets resolved without hassles. You've displayed infinite patience and a terrific attitude to try and resolve the issue and Kudos to you for  a job well done. 🙂 I will keep my fingers crossed and hope to hear some good news from you. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

David,

I gave it a few days to see if the problem would resurface.  As of today, I am happy to report the problem appears to have been solved.  Prior to your recommendations, I would have already done a few power resets.  

Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

Hi @Jonathan482,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David:

I was hoping your resolution to Jonathan's issue would help mine. Alas, your steps did help a bit, but still streaking when printing documents that have headers and footers/banners.  The text doesn't streak, but the headers and footers continue to streak. I've done everything you mentioned here, in addition to hard resetting, printer maintenance (clean print heads and align several times), and even downloaded the full software version for my driver (so I hope). I have no idea how to resolve and I'm about to just throw it in the trash and by a Brother or Epson printer.  Any last words of wisdom before I give up?  I rely heavily on it for my personal home business, yet I print less than 300 sheets per month with Instant Ink. In case that helps.. 🙂 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.