Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet MFP M180nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer displays "Supply Problem." on the screen. All cartridges show a question mark.

I've tried replacing all of them and I've even tried leaving them out and putting them in the wrong spots. The printer knew which one was wrong each time, so it can see them.

I've run a system reset back to factory defaults but it hasn't helped. Does anyone have an idea on how to get this printer working again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The latest firmware of your printer blocks any 3rd party supplies. You only have 2 options : 

1. Buy original HP toners 

2. Search the web or this forum how to downgrade your printers firmware to July 2020 version. 

This forum now is full if this issue. HP now does this. 

Just a electronics enthusiast trying to fix everything.
If this reply was helpful, click on the "yes" below to let others know. 🙂
If i solved your problem, please mark your thread solved:)

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

The latest firmware of your printer blocks any 3rd party supplies. You only have 2 options : 

1. Buy original HP toners 

2. Search the web or this forum how to downgrade your printers firmware to July 2020 version. 

This forum now is full if this issue. HP now does this. 

HP Recommended

Thanks! I was able to locate the old firmware and flash it. I used this page for instructions.

https://www.rickscully.com/2020/how-to-downgrade-hp-printer-firmware-via-ftp/

HP Recommended

Wapostyle:  I have the same problem but none of the solutions work for the M180 printer connected to a Mac.  I have spent hours online trying to find a method to downgrade the firmware, but so far no luck.  HP Support apparently can provide a solution, but I've been unable to contact them.  If you get any assistance on this, please post.

HP Recommended

There is a third option.  Dump HP. It bugs me that they”compete” by blocking 3rd party providers.  Why do the try selling their toners at a reasonable price. It is cheaper to just buy a new printer each time the toner runs out. That is just wrong!

HP Recommended

Larry:  I have just ordered a Brother printer to replace the blocked HP printer (which is like new but now going into the trash).  Goodby HP after many years - you've jilted a loyal customer.

HP Recommended

Search the web , how to update your printer using ftp 

HP Recommended

Hello @unclehanz 

Below are the steps that one need to follow in the order as mentioned ...

1> Disconnect the printer from the NETWORK

If on wired network : Unplug the  Ethernet cable from back of the printer.

If on wireless network : Power of the Wireless router. Turn off the printer.

2> Wait for 30 seconds. Turn on the printer. 

3> If the printer is in READY state, on the printer front panel, go to Setup -> Network Setup -> Network Services -> IPv6 -> Off.

4> Turn off the printer. Wait for 30 seconds and then turn on. Try printing , it should work.

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Jabzi:  Doesn't solve problem.  Screen still reads "Supply problem" with all four cartridges with a ?.  Need to downgrade firmware, according to others with this problem.

HP Recommended

This M280 "fix" doesn't work for the MFP M180 printers as it keeps giving incorrect firmware message.  Is there a link to the correct firmware for the M180  printers?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.