Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
officejet pro all-in-one 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The touchscreen has started to fade to almost being invisible. Tried uninstal/reinstall as per "virtual" assistant advice. No change, Tried "update driver", Answer: have latest. Now what?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Valdavidian,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Community,

Let's start off by updating the printer firmware. If your printer connected wireless, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to install the latest firmware update on your printer from our HP support website. Once done, restart the printer. For more details on how to update, please use this link: HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to do a hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

You may follow the steps from this link - The Printer Display Is Blank or Black

If you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would suggest here is to perform an advanced reset on the printer. 

We are going to provide you some additional steps via PM that are specific related to your product model.

Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Jeet,

I downloaded and installed all the software updates, unplugged the printer, waited 2 minutes and restarted it. Problems remains. I then downloaded firmware updates but coul not install. I oped both firewalls and still the firmware box that says "select printer" would not accept me clicking the box. I can't do any work from the printer itself because the contrast now is about zero. Any other ideas please?

HP Recommended

I aLSO DID AN ETHERNET CONNEXTION BUT i STILL COULD NOT CHECK THE"SELECT PRINTER" BOX.

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

None of your recommendations worked. I found out that the firmware wouldn't install because  the column "status" indicated "up to date".  We decided that calling in a tech repair would probably cost too much  so we decided to get a new printer. The local Staples storehad an HP 6962 on sale and we ordered that and will say goodbyee to our 8600 after  about 7 years of excellent service.

HP Recommended

@Valdavidian,

Congratulations on your new printer. 

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help.

Thank you 😀

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.