Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
color laserjet pro MFP M277
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a color laserjetpro MFP M277/Windows 10 Home

Tray 1 (single sheet priority feed slot) malfunctions as if it cannot sense if there is paper loaded into Tray 1.

If I set Preferences/Paper source/Printer Auto Select it will not feed paper from Tray1.

If I set Preferences/Paper source/Tray1 it will correctly feed single sheet paper from tray 1.

I have downloaded the latest printer drivers, but I cannot diagnose if it is a software or hardware problem.  Thanks in advance.  [Personal Information Removed]

Bill Roberts

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I deal more with Enterprise side of printers that allow more flexibility, but in glancing through the settings menus in some documentation there appears to be a tray preference selection on the printer itself, not just the driver and the options are: auto select, tray 1 or tray 2. It is possible that this setting got switched to tray 2 by accident which would explain the behaviour but I have also seen cases where the system just gets wonky and performing a factory reset puts the printer back to expected operation. Of course you lose any settings you have entered when performing a reset.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

If you want to load single sheets of special paper than you need to select MP tray not tray 1

The printer will then pause and wait for you to load a sheet.

Repairatrooper_0-1600464246870.png

the issue with using auto-select is that the printer will pull paper first from the highest numbered tray that has media that matches the print job which may be tray 2

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response, but I recollect that it used to work as I described. "Manual Feed" doesn't work to force tray1 feed (when loaded). There is no "MP Tray" option in " Preferences/Paper Source"

I like to use both sides of a sheet (very frugal!!). To print a single sheet (as needed), I put a (half used) plain sheet into tray1, and hit the "print" button. The printer would take the single sheet from tray1. It doesn't do that anymore, even though the Manual uses the term "single sheet priority feed slot." for tray1..

HP Recommended

Make sure the paper size and type on tray 1 are plain letter.

HP Recommended

Paper size and type are plain.  I think I overloaded the problem statement.  Sorry.

It seems (to me) a function of the printer software that I don’t understand.  Assume there is plain/letter size paper loaded in both Tray1 and Tray2.  Also assume Preferences\Paper Source\Printer Auto Select.  Select “print” and I expect (and hopefully recall) the default feed is from Tray1.  That is not what happens with this printer now.  The feed is from Tray2 as you stated.  It performs as if it does not "see" that Tray1 has paper loaded.

So what/why does “Printer Auto Select” default to Tray2?  It makes more user sense for Tray1 to be the default IF it has paper in it.  Why is Tray1 labeled “single sheet priority feed slot” in the User Guide?  I appreciate your help/thoughts.  Thanks very much.  Bill.

HP Recommended

I deal more with Enterprise side of printers that allow more flexibility, but in glancing through the settings menus in some documentation there appears to be a tray preference selection on the printer itself, not just the driver and the options are: auto select, tray 1 or tray 2. It is possible that this setting got switched to tray 2 by accident which would explain the behaviour but I have also seen cases where the system just gets wonky and performing a factory reset puts the printer back to expected operation. Of course you lose any settings you have entered when performing a reset.

HP Recommended

REMARKABLE!!  "Reset factory defaults" fixed the problem.  I am still ticked at HP for a lousy User Guide comment re what "auto select" means, but your suggestion worked.  Thank you again.  Don't know why I wasn't smart enough to try that!!  Bill.   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.