Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Inkjet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have a new Inkjet 3830 Printer. I recently replaced the black ink cartridge because the printing was bad and everything was working fine after the replacement. Now all of the sudden I start seeing a message that "cartridge not intended for use with printer". I thought maybe it was the new cartridge causing this error but it turns out it is the Tri Color that came with the printer.  This cartridge has barely been used. I've tried taking out and reseating, a light cleaning of the contacts to no avail. I am now running with just the black ink but since i paid for a color it would be nice to be able to do, Anything I can do to fix? Cartridges are expensive and this one is barely used. I've already had to replace the black ink because it was causing problems and barely used as well. Starting to think maybe HP printers are not the way to go...

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@indyjson

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Try the steps from here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-3830-all-in-one-printer-series/7172321/document/c0...

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank your for the reply. I have tried the suggestions and it still displays this error message. This cartridge came with the printer and it is brand new.

HP Recommended

If you insert your old tri color ink, do you still get the error message?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

There is no "old" cartridge. This a brand new printer and this is the cartridge that came with it. It is the only one I have. Never been used except initial printer setup and test pages. It did work at one time.

HP Recommended

Do you have any other cartridges to test with?

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.