Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer was working fine until I tried to make a copy on the glass face plate. Instead of copying as usual, the automatic feeder started running as if there was paper in it - which there is not. The ADF tried 3 times, then stops, and no copy. I tried various things all to no avail. Then I decided the software may have a glitch so I uninstalled the printer software and attempted to reinstall. When the installation process gets to "Network Printer Installation", it can't connect with the printer. Print Doctor was no help. I'm stuck - H E L P !!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

so, how do I contact support to get their help? Everything on the website keeps going in circles and the virtual agent is useless. Is there a phone number or email I can use?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@TenPin2, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

A copy has nothing to do with the printer software. Reinstalling the printer software will not fix copy issues. 

It looks like the printer is not detected by the printer software when you are trying to reinstall it.

Check the connectivity.

Restart the wireless router, the printer, and the PC

• Make sure the printer and the PC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. So, the PC should be on the 2.4GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

Now, try installing the software from here.

To resolve copy issues, reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Check the scanner bar functionality

Perform a visual test of the scanner mechanism to see if it is jammed.

1. Remove any original documents or photos from the scanner glass.
  2. Lift the scanner lid slightly, and then press the Copy button or icon.

If the scanner light does not move or moves halfway or is not lit, the scanner mechanism is likely jammed/broken.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar! Thanks for getting back to me. I tried your suggestion but nothing seems to have changed. Today I used a sophisticated uninstall program that removed every shred of HP software. I shut down my VPN and only used the Windows 10 firewall without anti-virus. I then installed the printer software from the link you sent and as usual, everything was going fine until I got to "Connect A New Printer". I clicked on it, it brought up the connection option to connect wirelessly which I checked and clicked next. The Network Check brought up my printer immediately and I clicked Next again. That's where it hits the wall. The next dialog box says installing network printer and the green bar goes across the page for 5 minutes until I finally get an error message that says, "Unsuccessful Network Installation. The printer was unable to be installed over the network".  Also, I used the Wireless Setup Wizard on the printer itself to reset the network. It connects just fine but cannot finish the computer installation as it gets hung up supposedly not finding the printer. If I open "Devices & Printers" in Control Panel, the HP 8620 is there. However, I can't perform any functions with it. It keeps defaulting to trying to find the network. I'm at a loss. H E L P ! ! ! 

HP Recommended

@TenPin2

If the printer is connected to the wireless network, let us install the printer on the PC using its IP address.

1. On the PC, go to Control panel > Devices and printers > Add a printer(at the top) 
  2. Under 'Choose a device or printer', click on 'The printer I want isn't listed'.
  3. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'
  4. Find the IP address of the printer by tapping on the wireless/ethernet icon on the printer screen
  5. Type in the 'IP address in Hostname or IP address' box, click next
  6. Proceed to the next steps by following the on-screen instructions.
  7. Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again Kumar,

Following your guidance I added the printer per your instructions. At the end it states, "You've successfully added Scan Only -HP6509FA (HP Officejet Pro 8620)-DO NOT DELETE. That is also listed as the printer name. Of course, it should not have that name. I then ran Scan Doctor and 'fixed' both printing and scanning problems. At least that is what it said it did. Except that I still cannot print or scan, even though the label says Scan Only.

HP Recommended

@TenPin2

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team. Please reach out to the HP Support in your region for further assistance.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I completely agree. A remote session or the like would allow someone with the ability to actually affect a repair. The problem is how to get to him or her. My printer is out of warranty. The website will not allow me access to anything except prior posts. I noticed the link you provided only brought me to the standard support page and NOT specific to actual help. Was that done on purpose or is there a phone number or email you can provide? I am in Delaware, U. S. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@TenPin2

I understand. If the printer is out of warranty, you may have to pay for the support. You were not able to reach the HP Technical Support team as the printer was out of warranty.

In this case, the last resort is, you may install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey Kumar,

I tried unsuccessfully to update the firmware on my printer. The firmware date was 2018 and the original software date was from 2015. I certainly should be able to install it but it says it isn't compatible. Could that be the problem? Also, I tried rolling back Windows Updates but that does not make any difference.

ProBowler

HP Recommended

so, how do I contact support to get their help? Everything on the website keeps going in circles and the virtual agent is useless. Is there a phone number or email I can use?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.