Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed an HP Officejet Pro 8610 printer on my network and my desktop running Windows 10 (first screenshot). I can print/scan from my computer using the basic functionality of the HP Smart app. However, I am unable to install the printer-specific app that has many more options for printing and scanning.

My printer is recognized when I try to install the printer-specific app (middle screenshot). After about 2 minutes of waiting, I get an error message that the network installation was unsuccessful (third screenshot).

I've run the HP Print & Scan Doc several times. Each time it tells me the problem is fixed (see "Scan Only -HP..." at the bottom of the first screenshot) only to get the same network error message when trying to install the printer-specific app. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Capture2.JPGCapture0_LI.jpgCapture1.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying.

Please Uninstall the HP Officejet Pro 8610 Basic Device Software.

Next, reinstall the latest software below:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL51184/bi-124093-4/OJ8610_198.exe

Of it now takes longer time to install the device, if it hangs, than repeat the steps listed on my previous post.

Please let me know how it goes,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try reinstalling the printer again.

Select Connect a New Printer and select your printer, then it hangs for several minutes while trying to install the network printer.

While it is running, right-click the Start button and select Device Manager.

Look for any instance of your printer and remove it under any of below categories:

Imaging Devices

Print Queues

Printers

Software Devices

WSD Print Providers.

Once removing any of the instances, if it offers a checkbox to remove the driver check it and confirm, repeat the same for any instance of the printer.

Once you are done, cancel the printer installation and allow it some moments to cancel, then try adding the printer again and check for any difference.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Thank you ShlomiL. I tried reinstalling the printer again. While it was running, I removed all HP Officejet devices from Imaging Devices and Print Queues - including  the device "Scan Only -HP Officejet Pro 8610 (Network)-DO NOT DELETE". Printers as well as WSD Print Providers were not listed in the Device Manager. There were no HP printers under Software Devices. 

I waited 3-4 minutes and attempted to reinstall the printer using the printer-specific app. Instead of taking 2 minutes to get the network error message, I got the same error after about 5 seconds.

HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying.

Please Uninstall the HP Officejet Pro 8610 Basic Device Software.

Next, reinstall the latest software below:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL51184/bi-124093-4/OJ8610_198.exe

Of it now takes longer time to install the device, if it hangs, than repeat the steps listed on my previous post.

Please let me know how it goes,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Uninstalling only the Basic Device software and installing the software using the link you provided has worked. Thank you for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.