Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2630
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

My printer worked beautifully last year and came to use it again. I need to clean the printer head, I think, as though full black is not printing out. But the 'utilities' tab on my mac (and more recently mac pro) does not show. Have searched for answers to TWO questions without success   (1) as I am urgently needing help ! - can I clean the heads without the use of a pc/Mac ie like in the old days when we could do it on just the printer itself?  (2) How do I get my mac to show the utilities ? Additional Notes: I have tried all sorts: reloading printer, software, checking leads etc.;  tried HP Easy Start again but constantly blocked 'whirring' in the 'Gathering Device Information';HP Smart  showed the printer is 'ready'.  Am not a great techie so please go easy on me! 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

A Utility tab is available with an HP driver, not with an AirPrint driver.

You may click the View Printer Webpage button within the driver options instead to launch its EWS page, then open the Tools tab and follow the Print Quality Toolbox to clean the printheads.

You may also follow HP Easy Start to install an HP driver rather than an AirPrint driver:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip

Additionally, ensure your drivers are up to date by clicking the Apple icon, select About this Mac and then press Software Update.
If any updates are available click Update Now to make sure the latest OS updates are installed, this is crucial for HP Easy Scan to work as expected.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt reply and also for addressing all my points. This is a minefield!  Just for info - I swapped the USB cable and it operated so far but am now trying to gether thro the next minefield of things going wrong with loading the software/drivers. This is really not a user-friendly system. 

HP Recommended

Hi,
Please follow HP Easy Start below to download the latest HP Essential Software and HP Easy Scan for your printer:
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip

Additionally, ensure your drivers are up to date by clicking the Apple icon, select About this Mac and then press Software Update.
If any updates are available click Update Now to make sure the latest OS updates are installed, this is crucial for HP Easy Scan to work as expected.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.