Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 3845
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My 3845 printer has been working OK but needed the black cartridge changed.   I put in a new one, but with no response from the printer so I replaced the cartridge with another new cartridge.   All I get is the green light blinking (or off completely).  The built-in test system doesn't run either.   I have checked all of the cables, they are OK, but even the HP Support Assistant now fails to find the printer.  I have even tried re-installing it but to no avail.   No error messages have shown at any time.   Where do I go from here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

In a last-ditch stand this morning I switched my P/c on again and inserted a third, and my last, new cassette into my printer.   Blow me down, it's running!   I tried replacing the previous two cassettes but neither of them work so back to #3.   However, at least I have a functioning printer again albeit at the cost of one-for-the-price-of-three cassettes.   Oh, well, c'est la vie I suppose.   But thanks for all of your interest and attempts to advise.   Most grateful.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I've heard windows ten last update has caused printers to disappear.    Have you had an update to 10 lately?  If so maybe rolling back to a date before that might help.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

You could well be right insofar as the printer worked OK until Saturday evening.   When I shut down, Windows stated that updates were being installed and not to switch off (a pretty standard occurrence).   Next day, no printer!   But how can I go back in time to fix it?

HP Recommended

I'm not on Win 10 but there should be a recovery or restore function somewhere that lets you roll back to a previous date on the computer.  Search for "restore" or "recovery".  Should be in the control panel somewhere.  Select a date prior to the update and see if that brings back your printer.  It will warn you that this change cannot be undone and will show you what programs will be effected.

Maybe someone with more Win 10 experience will chime in and give better instructions.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

I have just attempted to restore and/or recover my P/c but, although it took some time and on-screen signals seemed to show some action, it may or may not have changed anything.   The printer still fails to run.   I'm stumped.  I even replaced the colour cartridge, not all that old an item, although it was the black which appeared to be getting low.   Either way, none of them are funtioning and the only sign of 'life' is the green light which continues to flash as if it is out of paper or something such.

HP Recommended

In a last-ditch stand this morning I switched my P/c on again and inserted a third, and my last, new cassette into my printer.   Blow me down, it's running!   I tried replacing the previous two cassettes but neither of them work so back to #3.   However, at least I have a functioning printer again albeit at the cost of one-for-the-price-of-three cassettes.   Oh, well, c'est la vie I suppose.   But thanks for all of your interest and attempts to advise.   Most grateful.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.