cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 46
Flag Post

Why do HP printers suck

HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 6968
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Why does this HP printer give me constant heartburn. I purchased this printer over a year ago and have never been happy with it. I don't do a lot of printing but when I do go to print it says "printer is offline". The hell it is. I have to reboot the printer and then whatever is in the print que goes ahead and prints. I should not have to reboot the printer EVERY time. Now, I went to scan a document for my daughters college fincial aid and I can't scan the single page document. It says "the software had trubble scanning the document or was cancelled". I hate this printer. This printer is the biggest POS I have ever had. I want to buy a brother printer and take this to the range and pump it full of holes.

45 REPLIES 45
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,394 2,302
Message 2 of 46
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Hawkflyer,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Let's try these steps here: 

Let’s start by performing a network power drain. Follow the steps below:

Turn off all the devices connected on your network including the PC, Smartphones, printer, modem (if present) and router. Make sure all the devices in the network are turned off / unplugged.

Wait for 2-3 minutes.

Now turn on the modem if present. Wait till all the lights are steady and idle.

Then turn on the router. Again wait for a couple of minutes so that the lights are all steady.

Then turn on the PC and other devices.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download a special version of HP Print and Scan Doctor specifically created to help with printer offline conditions.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

4. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

5. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

6. Try to print. If the printer remains offline, continue to the next step.

If the light is steady blue, then the printer is connected to the network. If the light is flashing, then the printer is not connected to the network. Go to Setup - Network - Wireless setup wizard to connect the printer to the network.

Once the printer is connected to the network, then assign a static IP to the printer:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Create TCP/IP Port: 

1. Search Windows for devices, and then select "Devices and Printers" In the list of results.

2. Right-Click the name of your printer, and then select Printer Properties.

3. Click the Ports tab, click on "Add port" select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click "New Port"

4. Click next on the Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard, enter the printer IP address and click next and then click on "OK".

5. Now under the "Ports" tab you will find the newport with the printer IP address, click "Apply" and "OK".

6. Restart the computer.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
1 1 0 13
Message 3 of 46
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have had the same problem for last 4 years, my HP printer goes regularly off line, the only way to fix it is reset everything , reinstall all drivers to my WINDOWS PCs, and hope for the best - it happens every few weeks, and HP support with the give instructions cannot fix it in anyway, This is repeted bug/problem with these HP printers - and need expert to repair. I have plenty of technical knowledge, computer engineering skills, and it usually takes me about 1 hour to fix this, 7 cases out of 10 someone at the family wants print this problem exists and if I am in the office - it cannot be fixed.

This is EVER THE LAST HP I WILL EVER BUY, I am tempted to hammer the HP Printer into pieces and post a youtube video about it 🙂 , HP just builds bad products....

Tags (1)
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,394 2,302
Message 4 of 46
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ThomSSSSS,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
1 1 0 12
Message 5 of 46
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My HP printer is currently being used as a bed for my cat. It's about all it's good for.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 2
4 4 0 11
Message 6 of 46
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  Just did what I should have done two years ago - I put them at the curb with a "free" sign.  Guess what...nobody wants them.  So they're headed where all HP Printers should go.  The company should be shut down and their 1993 technology banned or sold to Russia.  Thank goodness Carly Fiorina wasn't elected president or our whole infrastructure would 1) not work and 2) not work.  #uttergarbage

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 2
4 4 0 11
Message 7 of 46
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Jeet_Singh:  You might want to remove the tag that you're an HP employee.  That is not a career builder, I assure you.

Highlighted
1 1 0 2
Message 8 of 46
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also have a problem with the new printers they're making now that insult and degrade their customers.

I hate those obnoxious screens they have that prevent you from printing anything. 

I resent being sold a machine that chews up everything I put through it as if this was supposed to serve me right. 

I do not see why anyone would choose to insult me even further by forcing me to go on the web if I either do not want to or can't afford to!   My old printer did not force me onto the web!   

I asked in a store if they sold a printer like the old kind without that obnoxious screen and a salesman told me that the buttons on the old printers used to break. Well, the buttons on my old printer were fine!

I think the claim that "the buttons would break" is some sort of a ploy since it looks like I was not the only one to be abused and humiliated by that ignorant screen.

I fail to see why the new printers have to be "SET UP" and why they have to be "SET UP" more than one time.   I came close to smashing this trash with a hammer and instead removed it from my desk a long time ago.   Moving it to another room did not solve my problem of being exploited by spending my money on something that's nearly worthless.   

I used to have a real printer that was not just expensive trash.  I was NEVER coerced to go online in order to use it.   It rarely ever chewed up the paper I put in.  I could even put cardstock and contact paper through it with no problem.   I still have the artwork it created.   I was sorry when it wore out.   They stopped making real printers and I don't know why they would insult their customers this way. 

Highlighted
Level 1
1 1 0 5
Message 9 of 46
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am done with HP printers- vent session.  I don't even know where to start. Devices add remove, add remove, add remove,  download update drivers, drivers in drivers out, drivers in drivers out, connections cable Wi-Fi, router, modem, power off on off on, check firmware,  test print, test print, test print, black no color, black no color, color, black, no color, no connections, 1 laptop prints 3 don't,  2 laptops print 2 don't, back to 1 laptop works, no color, black only, MORE PAPER TO RUN TEST PRINTS, 0 laptops print, WPS PIN, router Pin, 8 Digit code, default 8 digit code....AND THEN add HP bloat ware,  Dr fix this, print software when the printer can't print anything. Uninstall all drivers from operating system, reinstall downloaded drivers...and repeat all day everyday.  

Okay HP, i get it, you don't want to support printers older than 1 month, you don't want to pay to have your devices lab tested and certified to work with operating systems.  I love the cut and paste responses from HP to key words about the issue while completely ignoring what information was provided by the customer, because obviously we are idiots and need to be told to first plug it in an electrical socket that is working...with the cord that was provided, secure both ends. Oh that's it I forgot to turn it on.  

No i'm not going to tell you which printer this is and what OS because why should I. I've done the lame auto IM response, I've read posts for MONTH's. There isn't anything any HP employee or not-employee is going to say that I haven't tried.  

I'm having this issue now because now that we actually need a printer to work, because we've started a business LOL, what an experience. I've spent more time on getting the printer to print than the project I'm working on, then it would take to get up find a pencil and paper and write information down. And that's no joke, seriously. Now that I've calmed down...oh wait. the pay per print, 10 free, the per page charge or pay monthly, AMAZING you can get ink downloaded via internet, oh wait, maybe you just blocked use of ink that's in the cartridge. Oh Gosh, and that crappy end of the bloatware driver install, giving us options to pay monthly as if it were part of the driver install. Honestly you people, have stooped to the lowest sales /get a buck tactics. No thanks. I no longer feel like throwing the printer out the window, it's not it's fault. I don't know what I'm actually going to do with it, because it clearly is not a printer. 

Tags (1)
Highlighted
1 1 0 2
Message 10 of 46
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm with you there. Since i started with this company 4 months ago, we have not gone a day without HP Printer issues. I am currently in the process of getting rid of them. 

Tags (1)
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation