Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 8000 Pro
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am chasing a well documented problem of my printer losing the network connection after a very variable period of not printing. The only way to establish connection is to toggle the power but the printer can take 5mins of chugging and grunting before it settles and prints...

I have successfully set a static IP address on the printer (10.0.0.250) along with a blank default gateway, and documents will print after said 5mins of chugging and grunting (save the regular lost connection which I am chasing...).

I set what I thought was a static IP on the router to match (see image below) but now I am not sure if this was necessary and whether the "DHCP fixed server host" is correct. It could be unnecessary & missleading...

When using the printer's configuration interface at 10.0.0.250 it only seems to accept the network setup  when the default gateway is left blank. Using 10.0.0.2 caused the "page not found" error in my browser (Chrome).

However when trying to reinstall the drivers, the installer grumbled at the default gateway being set to 0.0.0.0 which at present is the only way it will work...

The Win7 PC is wired into the router.
The printer is wireless to the router.

ipconfig on the pc gives the Ethernet adapter details below.

So, basically I haven't a clue what I am doing...!

==============

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c8e1:63ef:85e0:7c24%13
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.249
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2

Router config.

zoom 01 lan details.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for your comments. It appears I have fixed the problem of the default gateway. Time will tell if the printer remains connected through long periods of none use (See Update below).

It seems that the router configuration of the "Existing DHCP Fixed Host" was nothing to do with the device being assigned a static IP. In fact it appears that this setting was preventing the printer adopting a default gateway of the router address.

I'd noticed that when giving the PC a fixed IP, it connected through the router without any further router configuration. So I reasoned that maybe this applied to the printer too, so I moved the printer to 10.0.0.251 and Bingo! the default gateway could be set to the route IP address.

Since then I have downloaded other updates, one of which is supposed to rectify the common problem of wireless printers losing the connection.

I will try to report back in the next few weeks with an update about the printers network connection stability.

UPDATE: 23rd May 2016

And in addition to the above, my router support suggested that I increase a 'connection timeout' setting from 24 hours to 10 days. I did this over a week ago. Today the printer worked after not printing for about 5 days :OpenSmile:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @stephen_ford,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums!

I noticed that you're experiencing problems with your HP Officejet 8000 Pro Printer. I would be happy to look into this with you.

In order to assist you better, I will require more information. 

What is the full name and product number of your printer? 

For example: 

• HP Officejet Pro 8000 Enterprise Printer - A811a
  • HP Officejet Pro 8000 Printer - A809a
  • HP Officejet Pro 8000 Special Edition Printer - A809c
  • HP Officejet Pro 8000 Wireless Printer - A809n

NOTE: The default gateway is the router's IP address, always enter the router's IP address for this. There is likely a problem with the Google Chrome, network configuration, firewall or anti-virus software. 

If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

If you need further assistance, please let me know the following information above. I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your comments. It appears I have fixed the problem of the default gateway. Time will tell if the printer remains connected through long periods of none use (See Update below).

It seems that the router configuration of the "Existing DHCP Fixed Host" was nothing to do with the device being assigned a static IP. In fact it appears that this setting was preventing the printer adopting a default gateway of the router address.

I'd noticed that when giving the PC a fixed IP, it connected through the router without any further router configuration. So I reasoned that maybe this applied to the printer too, so I moved the printer to 10.0.0.251 and Bingo! the default gateway could be set to the route IP address.

Since then I have downloaded other updates, one of which is supposed to rectify the common problem of wireless printers losing the connection.

I will try to report back in the next few weeks with an update about the printers network connection stability.

UPDATE: 23rd May 2016

And in addition to the above, my router support suggested that I increase a 'connection timeout' setting from 24 hours to 10 days. I did this over a week ago. Today the printer worked after not printing for about 5 days :OpenSmile:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.