Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I get the error message "cartridge can only be used in printer that initially installed it" after taking ink from my Officejet 8710 that broke and putting it in the 8715.  The ink is almost full in all cartridges.  I checked the printer settings and the "disable cartridge settings" is set and applied.  Firmware is up to date.  I have over $100 in ink I don't want to throw out!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@amy9307 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are getting a cartridge that can only be used in the printer that initially installed it a message.

Click or press No, OK, or Continue to dismiss the message. The printer continues with the print job.

If the message appears again then I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

If the issue persists with the new yellow cartridge then please clean the printhead as explained below:

• On the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setup icon .

• Swipe up on the display, and then touch Printer Maintenance.

• Touch Clean Printhead, and then touch Continue.

A test page prints.

Figure : Example of the printhead cleaning test page

Example of the printhead cleaning test page

• Examine the test page.

• If the print quality is unacceptable, touch Clean Again to continue the next level of cleaning. Repeat these steps for the third cleaning stage, if necessary.

If the issue still persists, please replace the ink cartridge and check.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I tried the steps below and the new printer won't except ANY of the ink cartridges from the previous printer that is the same exact model.  I had to purchase all new ink for $130 and now my previous full ink cartridges can't be used.  Any other solution?  I updated the firmware.

HP Recommended

@amy9307

I believe you are trying to use the setup ink cartridges that came with the Officejet 8710 printer in the Officejet 8715 printer. It will not work. These are 'setup' ink cartridges that are intended to initialize a printer. It will only work in the original printer it came with. If it was regular ink cartridges, you could have used them on the new printer.

I hope this answers your query.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.