Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Was able to print with both my HP printers ( Envy 4520 & Deskjet 2540)  and the following day both printers developed cartridge problems.  Tried everything that HP suggest.  Both printers are not functional.  I find that  there have been three HP Firmware downloads without my Knowledge on 21 July 2020.  They are DJ2540_2023B.exe,  DJ2540_188 and _DJ2540_basicx64_188.  Both printers were ok  until these downloads. I am still searching for firmware downloads for the Envy 4520 printer.  It seems that firmware downloads to a printer cannot be removed by the owner off the printer.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @emer1,

I'd like to help!

What is the exact error message you receive?

To update the firmware, refer to HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

The printer is indicating incompatible cartridges not intended for use in this printer as it is configured.  They are original HP cartridges which I have refilled myself, which by law, I should not be barred from doing so by HP.  They have been printing satisfactory  until both printers stopped at the same time.   I have carried out all the advice given by HP with negative results.  I am fed up with running around like a headless chicken and spending a lot of my time and getting nowhere as a result.  The solution to my problem is to dispose of the printers, as many other owners have done and purchase two new printers which will  certainly not be HP.  By doing so, less of my time will be wasted.  I have a HP laptop and if and when it should fail I shall replace it with another make as I have very little confidence with HP products or their solutions put forward to rectify a problem.

emer1

HP Recommended

I respect your decision.

The third-party ink cartridges will work. But there are many cartridges in the market which is refilled and sometimes the chip is not configured to work with the printer. You need to contact the cartridge manufacturer and find out why its not working. Try a different cartridge supplier and check if that works.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.