Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 5510
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer keeps saying Clear Carriage Jam but I do as it shows on the screen and it then says I am not shutting down the printer properly.   The carriage does move but it just keeps saying clear jam.  

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@daniellemcwhert, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand that your HP Photosmart 5510  All-in-One Printer displays a paper jam error when there is no paper jam found. Also, the print carriage is stuck towards the right side. Not to worry, I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

Was there really a paper jam in the past or any other hardware changes (ink cartridge replacement, etc.)?

While you respond to that. I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

NOTE: You may skip any steps that have been attempted before.

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected to the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.