Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

MY printer was working fine yeterday, but today it says it's offline and I can't find any way to fix it. I unplugged the printer, restarted it multiple times, reconnected to the wi-fi. Both my computer and my iphone can't find it. how do I get it online and how did it even go offline to begin with!?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello auge61681, and welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I see you are experiencing connectivity issues. I would like to help.

I would recommend powering off your printer and computer.  Once they are both down, I would recommend unplugging the power from your wireless router for 60 seconds, and then plugging it back in.  Once it has begun broadcasting again, power on your printer and computer.

I would also recommend following this document on Wireless printing center Troubleshooting Issues.

Good luck and please let me know the results of your troubleshooting steps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hello auge61681, and welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I see you are experiencing connectivity issues. I would like to help.

I would recommend powering off your printer and computer.  Once they are both down, I would recommend unplugging the power from your wireless router for 60 seconds, and then plugging it back in.  Once it has begun broadcasting again, power on your printer and computer.

I would also recommend following this document on Wireless printing center Troubleshooting Issues.

Good luck and please let me know the results of your troubleshooting steps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Thanks. I had restarted the router last night and got it going
HP Recommended

This did not work for mine. Before, I had OS Windows 7 and an older 4500. When it went offline, I could go to my HP solutions program and select  "guided solutions" which took me to an option to bring my printer back online. I don't understand why I don't have this with my new printer 4500 just purchased in September and my new laptop with OS Windows 8. I gave up my old printer because HP customer service said it was too old and not compatable with Windows 8.  

HP Recommended

Hello nmok, and welcome to the HP Forums!

I would recommend following the steps laid out in this document on An 'Unable to find printer' Error Displays for the HP ENVY 4500.

Please keep me posted!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

For those of you who can't get your printer to STAY ONLINE, try this.  I called HP help desk 4 times with no resolution.  I found this fix myself, and it works!  The directions are for a MAC, but can be easily adapted for Window users.

In the print queue, which shows the document which won't print, select 'printer' then 'properties' from the drop down menu. 

In  'Printer Properties' select the tab, 'Ports'. 

Select 'Add Port...' choose the one which displays your printer name. 

In the 'Add Port' window, select 'Auto Detection'.   Wait a moment until the 'Model' 'Mac address' and 'IP Address' fields are automatically filled.

Select the completed line and press the 'next' button and follow the prompts.

HP Recommended

You may not be as ecstatic as I was to learn this, but here goes.

I have mud-wrestled with my HP ENVY 4500 since the day, literally, that I bought it. In that time, two years ago on November 11, 2015, I have only used one cartridge of black ink because the printer is, again, literally, always or 99.9% of time, offline. I couldn't believe the solution was so simple, although you may not like to hear it.

The HP technical support representative suggested I setup the printer with a USB cable. Worked first time, continues to work, no more offline syndrome. I was beside myself with joy. I realize that if she had told me that two years ago, I would not have been happy as this printer brags about just how wireless it is. Well, the USB cable solved the problem for me. It's worth a try.

Formerly frustrated HP printer owner!

HP Recommended

That 'fix' has always been out there.  Unfortunately, a USB cable is not possible since it's 25 feet from my computer.  This printer should stay online.  As you stated, it is ALWAYS offline.  Piece of crap.  Buy a Canon which I did and you will get what you pay for, a wireless printer.

HP Recommended

Tried it several times . I have unplugged follede every suggestion made by HP downloaded programs to fix it followed instructions x 10 to no avail. This printer has nor worked ever and is now out of warrenty due to early Cristmas buy and numeruos attempt to fix it . I am more than dissatified with this thing . We are on limitede funds / fixed retired and can not just go buy another ( most definatly not AN HP at this rate seems I would be throwing the money away on this crap .

Unless you have Magic on your side tp fix this thie will be the last time for HP .

Dissatisfied customer or X customer and angery at your product (s)

If I wanted a printer that needed to be hard wired in I would have bought one .

HP Recommended

There is such a simple reply to this and why HP doesn't just say it or someone...

There is a button with the wireless signal icon. If you click the button it will show your printer is offline. Click the other button beside where it says System on. Then click OK, then it says booting up or something along those lines, then it connected. Basically if you click that wireless icon on the top right side by the main screen you will understand. I looked all over for this simple answer and my 10 year old son Kellar figured it out by just looking at the printer and clicking the wireless icon which I never even noticed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.